Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What features would you like updated on the FZ10 or see in/on it's successor?
Automatic display compensation in low light conditions 19 21.11%
RAW output 15 16.67%
SuperFine JPEG output 20 22.22%
Ring based manual zoom (instead of electro-mechanical) with display feedback for zoom level 7 7.78%
One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings 5 5.56%
Larger buffer to keep burst speed usable with SuperFine or RAW outputs 0 0%
Longer throw from built-in flash 1 1.11%
Focus-assist lamp 23 25.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:22 PM   #11

I would vote for two items in the following order:

RAW output
Superfine JPEG output

May I add one more item: debug the darkening of EVF display problem!
Famo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:31 PM   #12

I voted for manual zoom on the lens ring.
Just as important to me (and not to anyone else so far) is a REMOTE RELEASE ... REMOTE RELEASE ... REMOTE RELEASE.
(Just a hint).
Stratis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:38 PM   #13

Famo, you can choose to have as many as you want, there's no limit. If you're concerned only about those 3 things, then that's fine, but this isn't a competition.
It's about informing Panasonic Japan that, as nice and good as the FZ10 is, it could be better if it had these features - and what features can't be added by way of a firmware update, then we'd like to see them in it's successor the FZ11/12/20, or whatever it ends up being called.

Not all the features may be of interest to you personally, but I thought it a good idea (if flawed due to limitations of the voting system) to have one (now 2) threads where a consensus could be reached as to what are the key features users want from this camera and if they can't have it, then they can in the next or one after next successors to the FZ10.

I'd like to think this can be used by Panasonic Bob to inform his counterparts in Japan, that we are fans of the product, but we're slightly disappointed by the lack of certain features. If we could have them in a firmware revision or the next FZ10 type model, then we'd be as happy as Larry and sing their praises to all who'll listen, and help Panasonic become a serious contender in the DC/DP market.

So, feel free to edit your post and add all that your heart desires. The more truthful you are, the better the end product Panasonic can and will release when the time comes.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:45 PM   #14

How about:

Less noise
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:48 PM   #15

Thanks. Darkening of the display in manual mode is a problem that Panasonic should fix. Hey, it should never have existed in the first place because it does not happen in other DCs. It is not something that we wish to have. Panasonic as a large and world famous company should listen and do something about it asap,

I've already submit a vote for RAW output. Can I submit another vote for Superfine JPEG?
Famo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:05 PM   #16

brand new fz10 user here, but this poll is a great thing. Hopefully Panasonic will consider the needs of it's customers. I voted for the low light lcd compensation feature because i think that is the one thing that i will have everlasting issues with. However, Panasonic may want to even consider it as a possible profit venture for firmware updates. It could be a win-win.....the consumers can update their current model without having to go broke buying a new camera, and Panasonic can get some gravy-money, and at the same time, potentially win major brand-loyalty/customer satisfaction points.

Would it be out of the cards for Panasonic to offer firmware updates for a nominal fee.....I dont know how much, so let's say....$20-30.00 per person, even if it was only for one feature....or, if they were willing enough....people could do firmware upgrades a la carte` for a price per upgrade feature....just a thought....seems to be working for other areas, like pay per view, pay per mp3's etc....

Panasonic should feel forced to offer FREE updates, as we purchased the camera knowing its shortcomings, but WE shouldnt be forced to buy a new camera to get around a simply fixed issue like Dark LCDs in moderately lit rooms...

just some thoughts.

seaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:19 PM   #17

Phil - I think the poll is way skewed as it is setup now due to the inability to vote for more than one item. As is already apparent, the first item is getting most of the votes. The only way around it is to start over again with each item having a seperate poll. Otherwise, Bob will have to go through many replies and list the various items.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:21 PM   #18
Default Dang...

Can only vote for one thing.. ok here's my wishlist.

1. Automatic display compensation
2. Focus assist light
Purrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:34 PM   #19
Default Firmware vs. Hardware changes

For people who already own an FZ10, hardware changes are not an option. Such recommendations can apply only to future products, not to existing ones. Perhaps we could separate possible Firmware improvements from hardware changes. I realize that we can't necessarily know what can be done in Firmware, but it's obvious that physical things like AF assist lamps and zoom rings will have to wait for new cameras.

As a current FZ10 owner who is not interested in buying some hypothetical future camera, but just wants his current one to work better, my two suggestions address common problems for which I have not been able to find workarounds, but which appear to be Firmware-controlled:

1. In Manual mode, when the flash is open or an external flash is connected, the viewfinders should not become darker than they would in Program mode, regardless of the aperture/shutter settings. As I explained in another thread (http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...=108976#108976), the camera can't know how much illumination the flash will provide, so instead of making the worst-case assumption (the flash won't fire), it should make the best-case assumption (the user knows what he's doing).

2. It should be possible to store less-compressed images than the two levels now available. My personal preference would be to keep just two compression levels, but to let the user select what those levels should be. An option on the SETUP menu could let the user select any jpeg compression level from 1 to 100 for "fine" and another level for "standard". Alternatively, a third "super-fine" level (jpeg 97 or better) or RAW could be added.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:17 PM   #20
Default More than one

You really need to set this up so we can vote for more than one. I for one would like:

:arrow: Commitment to providing Firmware updates as a result of ongoing developments of cameras
:arrow: Automatic display compensation in low light conditions {off}
:arrow: RAW output
:arrow: SuperFine JPEG output
:arrow: Remote control operation

:arrow: One or more user configurable buttons for quick access to regularly changed menu settings
:arrow: Focus-assist lamp
jjmead is offline   Reply With Quote