Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:22 PM   #1
Default Panasonic Serial Numbers?

I am writing this post to all the Panasonic Experts out there who are far more educated on Panasonic Products than myself.

I currently own a Panasonic DMC-FZ1 which I love dearly, nonetheless I recently decided to part ways with this beloved little Camera, seeking funds to purchase the much coveted and highly acclaimed 4 Mega Pixel DMC-FZ10.

My Dilemma: After close inspection of my FZ1 I noticed that the Serial Number is C3SM00001. My FZ1 is a U.S. Model and I purchased it early on in the FZ1ís initial release (in fact, I purchased it the day it became available to my Dealer of choice).

I donít know much about Serial Numbers but due to the nature of the number ď00001Ē, I suspect this Camera may be the First of a Production Run. Historically speaking, I know that many items that are the First off a Production Line can increase in value substantially over time. Therefore, I would hate to sell the Camera now at Market Value only to realize later that I had a Collectors Item on my hands.

If anyone has any information they could share with me as to Panasonicís Serial Numbering Methods, it would be much appreciated.

Chenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:07 PM   #2

Panasonic US is the best place to enquire as they would keep records of all imports from the Far East manufacturing plant or Panasonic Japan.
It certainly seems you've a serial # which may be valued by someone - so, I'd be inclined to set it aside for a rainy day - you never know how much some ebayers will pay for it down the line.
pjskelti is offline   Reply With Quote