Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:15 PM   #1

Default DMC LX100 & Auto ISO?

I have a Pentax K5-IIs which has an Auto-ISO setting. I can manually set an aperture and shutter speed, while the camera will automatically adjust the ISO so I get the correct exposure. Obviously, this is only as good as the lighting which needs to fall within the range of ISO I've permitted the camera to use. It works remarkable well.

I'm in the market for a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 but reading the manual doesn't seems to indicate whether this Auto ISO feature is included in the feature set for the LX100. Might there be a helpful LX100 owner who can advise whether this feature is present or not and, if so, whether you've used it and find it adequate for your needs?

Thanks very much!

Barry
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:55 PM   #2

G'day Barry

While we don't have the LX100, all our previous & current Panny cameras offer both 'ISO-Auto' and 'ISO-specific' options. It the Auto case, when set it cycles thru the entire range from 100-ISO to 3200-ISO as needed

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:01 PM   #3

The auto ISO in "manual mode" is fairly recent with m4/3. With some dslr, you can set both aperture and shutter speed manually and let the Auto ISO maintain the exposure. You might want to check more closely if that's what you are referring to.

I don't know if the LX100 has that feature or not.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:01 PM   #4

Ozzie, BBuilder,

The Advanced Manual shows Intelligent-ISO to be the feature that auto-adjusts the ISO within the range permitted by the user. However, it also shows it as not being available in Manual mode. Apparently, once in Manual mode, the LX100 provides a little indicator at the bottom of the viewfinder that "nudges" the user to change aperture and/or shutter speed to provide the correct exposure for what I presume is a manually set ISO.

Looks like I'll have to wait until the LX100II (whatever) or find another smaller camera that does support true auto-ISO when manually setting shutter and aperture (like my 2012 Pentax does). Disappointing. This one feature keeps me from abandoning the Pentax.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:24 PM   #5

Whups! Perhaps I've assumed facts not in evidence, so to speak. According to the "Photographer's Guide to the Panasonic Lumix LX100 - Getting the Most from Panasonic's Advanced Compact Camera" by Alexander White:

"For example, you might use Manual exposure mode with Auto ISO when you are taking pictures of a person working with tools in a dimly lighted workshop. You might need to use a narrow aperture such as f/8.0 in order to keep the work in focus, and a fairly fast shutter speed such as 1/250 second to avoid motion blur. You can make both of those settings and be assured that they will not vary. The camera will automatically adjust the ISO setting to achieve the best exposure possible, given the lighting conditions."

The Exposure Compensation dial is not functional when in Manual mode (although it would be a nice thing if they'd link it to the ISO when in Manual mode via a firmware update).

But it does look like the Auto-ISO I want is actually part of the normal functioning of this camera.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:34 PM   #6

Hmmmmm okay ...

Maybe it's time to get your hands on one in a shop and experiment !!

Phil
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:47 PM   #7

Ozzie,

Absolutely correct and sound advice. Not too sure where I'll find one here in El Paso and I'd hate to buy one on Amazon and then return it. Maybe I'll look at the rentals; then everyone ends up happy.

I figured buying an electronic version of White's book (at Amazon) was a reasonably cheap method of learning what someone who has spent a long time with the camera has learned. It's certainly much more understandable than those horrific manuals that accompany the camera from Panasonic.

Thanks,
Barry
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:03 PM   #8

G'day Barry

I've just downloaded the panny manual for the LX100 and it all seems 'pretty standard' to me [no offence to you, but I'm quite used to camera manuals]

When you do nothing out of the ordinary, the Auto ISO activity of the camera is to wander up & down the ISO range between 200-ISO and 3200-ISO as and when the lighting conditions need the camera to 'go for a wander'. This is the same for nearly all cameras, the Pentax included

It means that for most of the time in "Auto+P-A-S" modes the camera will select low ISO settings for best image clarity, and when the light fades -or- if the user sets "M" speeds & apertures that require higher ISO settings, the camera will oblige

However, you can also set your own max-ISO if you do not want the camera to go to the 3200-ISO limit. On several of my cameras, I have set ISO-800 as the auto limit as I want to maintain control over the use of high ISO settings ~ knowing that their use also comes with the display of noise / grain in the old days.

The LX will take the ISO settings up heaps more than 3200-ISO but to me it is stretching the friendship so to speak with the image quality

Hope this helps
Phil