Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2004, 7:41 AM   #1

Which oneshould I buy? Pansonic FZ10 or the Cannon S1 IS

Which one take the better overall photo. Especially low light and landscape shots.
yoojohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:46 AM   #2

I looked at the S1 IS very closely before deciding to go with the FZ10. Here are my thoughts:

Photo quality: FZ10
Lens: FZ10
Professional appearance: FZ10
Build quality: FZ10
Movie mode: S1 IS

I honestly found the FZ10 better in almost every way than the S1 IS, with the exception of movie mode-- the S1 IS is clearly the leader in that area. I would only recommend the S1 IS over the FZ10 if movie mode is extremely important to you.

Contrary to what some have said, I find the FZ10 to work quite well in low light. The only major shortcoming is how the view finder can sometimes become too dark when you're in full manual mode. (Panasonic please issue a firmware update to fix this!) However, you can usually work around the problem by framing the subject in another mode, then switch back to manual.

Another thing to consider is that the FZ10 has a hot shoe for external flash, while the S1 IS does not. This certainly makes the FZ10 a lot more flexable camera for low light shots.
BB is offline   Reply With Quote