Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:14 AM   #1

I am using Window 98. When I'm connecting my camera with the computer using the USB connection cable, I noticed the icon for safe removal of the USB cable in not displayed on the task tray bar. I can't find any instruction on how to safely remove the USB connection cable, whether in manuals (SD Viewer or Camera Operating Instructions) provided by Panasonic or in the Window Help.

So far, I just pull out the USB cable from my computer to disconnect it. I notice that the card access indication of my camera is still remaining on after I had pulled the cable out. I'm afraid this may damage my SD card sooner or later.

Could anyone, please advise me.
lks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:21 AM   #2

As long as nothing is accessing the SD card when you pull the plug, then it will be fine. If I remember correctly (my FZ10 is upstairs right now, and I am too lazy to go get it) the LCD will tell you if files are being accessed. So just wait until it is done, then you can pull the plug.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 3:04 PM   #3

You may want to consider a card reader too.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 4:12 AM   #4

I am runnning under Windows ME and the icon sometimes is absent. The safest way to use the USB port is to power off the camera beforeconnect and disconnect.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 4:18 AM   #5

Definatly a good idea as you can keep it connected and no wear and tear on the usb connection on your camera. Very very cheapley brought on e bay
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote