Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:31 AM   #1

Whenever I turn it on, the LCD comes on, and then the lens tries to extend, and I get three clicking noises from it.

Anyone have any ideas? Panasonic Bob, maybe? I'm terrified, as this is my work camera. (I'm a journalist)
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2

Red Viper
Assuming you have nothing attached that would obstruct the lens extension and no dirt or other contamination is visible either, my first suggestion is to check the warranty period from "where you bought it" and their policy. It may be covered by them with a replacement (and hopefully one in stock.)
If not, then an asap call to panasonic service is in order.

I can feel your anxiety; good luck for a speedy solution.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:15 PM   #3

Panasonic service said the warranty is on parts, not labor. Grr..this is going to cost at least 160, they said. I haven't tried the repair place, yet. That's next on my list.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:17 PM   #4

A certain camera vendor in Montana offers a five year warranty parts and labor for about $75 for the Panasonic FZ10/20.

Something to think about for any future FZ10/20 customers

No, I won't identify the vendor here per wishes of Steve.

You can Google and find it.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 8:48 PM   #5

The same thing happened to mine a few months ago, but I just got around to taking it in for service yesterday. Fortunately (for me) I bought the extended Ritz warranty and it won't cost me a dime. The camera repair shopsays that they will more than likely just get a replacement lens directly from Panasonic since it is still under the 1 year factory parts warranty. Estimated time for repairs is four to six weeks.

If I were you I would just call Panasonic's warranty service line and get it fixed through them. I believe I read about someone else having the same thing done through Panasonic, and it only cost a little over $100 and the return was maybe two weeks.

In the meantime, you could consider getting a backup camera if you don't already have one.

MasterOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote