Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 5, 2004, 8:56 AM   #1

Besides the 1 additional MP, anyone know the differences between these two? Seems like for most people the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15K is more than sufficient. I am looking to get this in place of my current Canon S1 IS.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2004, 12:33 PM   #2

There is only the megapixel difference, and that the FZ15 has no microphone. Which can be a major downside to some people (a minor downside to me, it is the main thing keeping me from getting it right now (that, and no place stocks it now)).

I really have no idea why there is no microphone, as it could have only costed a few cents more per camera, and they would actually have to do some more designing to remove the microphone. So I have no idea on the logic behind that move (I am sure there is some though...)
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 1:01 PM   #3

blinblue wrote:
Quote:
There is only the megapixel difference, and that the FZ15 has no microphone. Which can be a major downside to some people (a minor downside to me, it is the main thing keeping me from getting it right now (that, and no place stocks it now)).

I really have no idea why there is no microphone, as it could have only costed a few cents more per camera, and they would actually have to do some more designing to remove the microphone. So I have no idea on the logic behind that move (I am sure there is some though...)

The microphone is no loss for me as I use the camera solely for pictures, not doing any video so the FZ15 seems like a much better value.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 2:50 PM   #4

Also FZ15 does not have a hotshoe for external flash. If you mainly shoot indoor pictures, an external flash unit helps *a lot*.
akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 3:08 PM   #5

akirabbq wrote:
Quote:
Also FZ15 does not have a hotshoe for external flash. If you mainly shoot indoor pictures, an external flash unit helps *a lot*.

Never found an external flash to be necessary, indoor or outdoor shooting.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:52 AM   #6

slitman wrote:
Quote:
I prefer not to use flash in any situations too, but on occasions, like events or parties at night, I need to use an external flash, because I dont like to get dark backgrounds. However, FZ15 according to its spec. has abuilt-inflash very strong(7mt) wichis quite acceptable ......

Im really planning to get the new FZ20 after selling my very nice but out of date FZ10.....but for now, you know that there are only two differences between these DCs, so that's up to you which you are gonna choose.

Best regards,

Click the link below, there are some FZ10 shots.

http://arturo.fotopic.net/c278748.html

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:56 AM   #7

I have not decided on which one yet as the FZ20k is quite tempting. Definitely going to be selling my Canon S1 IS and the question is whether Canon will be coming out soon with a comparable model.

Old Sep 6, 2004, 2:11 PM   #8

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
slitman wrote:
Quote:
I prefer not to use flash in any situations too, but on occasions, like events or parties at night, I need to use an external flash, because I dont like to get dark backgrounds. However, FZ15 according to its spec. has a built-in flash very strong(7mt) wich is quite acceptable ......
FZ15 has a Guide Number 7m, with f2.8 the effective range is 7 / 2.8 = 2.5m, not very strong indeed (my flash GN is 32m). Zoom a bit and the flash is out of range. I use flash not only in dark situation but also in everyday siutation for balancing the exposure and color (eg skin tone), and I have options to choose faster shutter speeds. It is not always possible to ask every people to stand still and take a shot, and it's impossible to ask a bug in the forest to stand still in low lighting situation. With an external flash you can do bouncing or diffusion which gives more details and natural lighting to the scene. The external flash improve the shooting condition a lot, and indeed also improves the picture quality.

Here is an example of an indoor macro shooting with the external flash (diffuser attached) bounced directly to the ceiling. I used ~3x zoom to get rid of the barrel distrotion. Photoshop is only used for resizing the picture, no retouch or cropping.

When the light source is not optimal, a slower shutter speed or tripod cannot always help.
Attached Images

akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:01 AM   #9

Great pic!

So back to the topic...Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ15K or FZ20K?

Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:49 AM   #10

Im gonna buy the FZ20.

Some FZ10 shots on the link below

http://arturo.fotopic.net/c278748.html
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote