Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:52 AM   #1

Iam trying to get a entry level SLR camera. I amneeding one thathave a fast shutter speed in taking pictures on race track and moving vehicles. Since I am new to this, Ireally don't want to shell out a lot of money yet.I am looking at FZ15, but it doesn't seem like it's available yet unless getting it directly panasonic. I just realized that FZ15 is prolly the replacement for FZ10. I can't tell the difference from one another. Is FZ15 good enough to take picture of moving vehicles?
stsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2004, 2:31 PM   #2

You mentioned that you were looking for a digital SLR. None of the FZ series cameras is an SLR. Each of these is an "all in one" camera which has only one lens. You cannot change lenses on these cameras like you could on an SLR, although there are wide angle and telephoto adapters that can be used.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:55 PM   #3

I see. I thought those are digital SLR.I have a Optio S that I just love,it's great tobring on trips. It has a slow shutter speed that I can't take picture with moving things. I would like to get one that has faster shutter speed. I am a newbie, I think the 'all in one' with faster shutter speed, good zoom range and decent mega pixelshould be good for now as I don't plan on making pictures bigger than 8x10. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between FZ10 and FZ15?
Old Sep 20, 2004, 5:09 PM   #4

Your little Optio S is actually capable of shutter speeds up to 1/2000 second (just as fast as the Panasonic models you're looking at).

Any camera must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure of the image. This is a matter of the available light, the brightness of the lens, and the ISO speed.

Your Optio is most likely using ISO 50 in good light (if you have Auto ISO set). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast.

This is because you are increasing the sensitivity of the CCD Sensor to light when you increase ISO speeds (basically, it just amplifies the signal more). The upside is that you will be able to get faster shutter speeds. The downside is that increasing ISO speed also increases noise levels.

So, by simply setting your Optio S to ISO 100, you'll most likely get shutter speeds twice as fast as you are getting now in good light outdoors.

As I previously mentioned, lens brightness also comes into play. The lens on your Optio is just as bright as the lens on the Panasonic models you are looking at when you are at the wide angle setting (not using any zoom). However, at full zoom, your lens is nowhere near as bright (more than twice as much light reaches the sensor through the lens at wide angle with your camera, versus full zoom).

This is where a model like the Panasonics are much better than most cameras. They are able to maintain a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout their focal range. So, the camera can use shutter speeds just as fast at any focal length (amount of zoom used). However, just like your Optio S, increasing ISO speed will increase noise levels.

If your race photos are in daylight, you probably won't need to increase ISO speeds much, if any. However, if you are talking about night races, then that is a different story. You'll probably want to go with a DSLR model and a bright lens (these can shoot at much higher ISO speeds with lower noise).

I have not yet seen anyone with the DMC-FZ15 yet. So, I don't know what all of the differences are. According to the press releases, it will be a faster camera (startup time, shutter lag, etc.). It also looks like the flash range has been increased substantially. However, it does not look like it will support an external flash (and the FZ10 did).

Perhaps someone more familiar with these models will help you understand the differences between them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:58 PM   #5

stsong wrote:
I can't tell the difference from one another. Is FZ15 good enough to take picture of moving vehicles?
It has a panning mode designed to capture moving vehicles. I haven't used it so I can't comment on it.

I detailed the differences between the FZ10 and FZ15 over on dpreview.com. Here is the link. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10346144

Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:15 AM   #6

Hey JimC,

Thanks for the info. I prolly should have read the manual thoroughly :?. The raceare usually in the daylight. I do like the fact that FZ15 has MEGA Optical Image Stabilizer and longer zoom range. I be looking for one when it's out and I think it shouldn't be long since everybody will be gettingready forChristmas rush.

ThanksRamblin_mofor the comparison on 2 cameras.