Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:22 AM   #1

I`m interested in buying an fz20 for sports photography (motocross). Has anyone else used it for sports ? Is the shutter lag not to long ? Is the autofocus quick ? Is it easy to see when your subject is in focus using the evf or should I save up for a Nikon D70 ?

Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:01 PM   #2

I do use it for hobby-level sports photography. I generally try to take photos at college games (from the stands) and my son's games as well (sidelines).

The "infinity" setting on the burst mode is great, but since it has an EVF, following the action can be a little tricky. A dSLR would be a lot better for following action and repetitive shooting.

The autofocus speed isn't bad, but isn't as fast as a dSLR. I've tried the D70 in a store and it is very quick.

Since it is only a hobby, I am happy with the FZ-20, especially given its price tag and the amount of zoom I have with it. I just fire away and I'll always get some keepers. I'm sure I'd get more with the D70, but it is a lot more expensive.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 10:24 AM   #3

I use the small FZ2 for shooting sportscar for web report

See : http://photoshoot.site.voila.fr/

mx http://site.voila.fr/photoshoot/green/greenpark.htm

So it works but ...

1- You need to make a préfocus before ... then the shutter lag is ok

2- Same for the autofocus no way with high speed bikes

3- EvF is ##### so it's fire .... an forget or keep

4- If you realy want to shoot mxsport save for a DSLR ( there are plenty of second hand's offer now ) Remember also the dust problem with MX

Nathcoo is offline   Reply With Quote