Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:34 PM   #21

Does anyone have any shots of people? My primary goal is to buy a camera that I can use to take pictues of my kids (inside and outside) I have not seen many shots of people taken with Z20.

Thanks for any help you guys can give !

If not the Z20, I will be buying a Cannon G6 or A95. I just hate to give up the Zoom of the Z20. I think it would be great for the kids sports.
Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:11 PM   #22

Go to my site.

It's just basic struff, but there are some people shots.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:45 AM   #23

cokids wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Beth. Really nice pictures - I like the glare on the hood ornament. It looks to me that using the high setting on the NR function does make for a softer print. I just downloaded a Noise Ninja trial and it seems to do a good job on noise reduction. It has a function where you can remove the noise from a specific color, which I like, as the noise tends to me in the darker colors, so I can keep detail in the lighter colors. Haven't tried Neat Image. The FZ20 does have more noise than my Fuji S602, but the 12X and the IS allow to get pictures I couldn't have gotten with the Fuji. Under some of the more extreme conditions, the photos do need extra post processing. I kinda figure that the only photo you can't fix is the one you couldn't get, so I'm happy to spend a little extra time. Linda
Yes, I was talking about noise reduction software. I use Neat Image though there are others. The camera can be set to 'low, standard, & high' noise reduction so that the camera reduces some of the noise when you take the photo. I have read that you lose some detail when you use high in-camera noise reduction, so I probably will opt for noise reduction software instead. I will more likely just shoot at ISO 80 or 100 most of the time. Noise reduction just takes too long for my purposes. Can't be bothered with it.

I have also read that the noise you can see on the computer screen isn't visible in print. Can't vouch for that, but will check it out one of these days.

The shot where noise was most visible was a 200 ISO shot taken indoors in lower light of my computer keyboard. When interpolated, the noise was VERY noticeable! I expect that noise reduction software would take care of it and this is the shot that I will test print when I fire up my printer. Stay tuned....will let you know.
patchworkfibers is offline   Reply With Quote