Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1

whats up guys, first of all I would like to thank everbody
who has contributed in this forum. Because of you guys taking your time reading and replying I am a much better photographer and user of the FZ line cameras.

This is my first post ever here.

I just upgraded from FZ1v2 to FZ10 and need a 62mm polarizing lens. Someone mentioned just to get a linear but don't you need a circular lens if the camera has autofocus?

And is preferred to get multi-coated lens?

Thank you guys once again for everything.

Don't forget about us Bob

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:02 PM   #2

In this thread:

"slipe" mentions that linear polarizers work fine with the FZ10.

And there's a little more discussion / information on polarizers here:

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:05 PM   #3

After researching some more I found out this.

Written by CK:

Since this question has appeared so many times here and elsewhere, I'd like to provide an answer once for all. I will try not to be to technical.

A linear polarizer has a single plate for polarizing the incoming light. When this plate, which is attached to the filter, is rotated, the polarized light will change "phase/angle."

Some cameras, especially those SLR/DSLR bodies, have a beam-splitter to split the incoming light to the viewfinder, AF system and metering. Each of these components requires some minimal amount of light to work properly. For example, the AF system usually requires an aperture of F5.6 or larger. Thus, this splitting of light should follow a constant ratio, say 80% to viewfinder, 10% to light meter, and 10% to the AF system (just an example).

If the incoming light is NOT polarized, the phase/angle of the incoming light may be in all directions and evenly distributed to each of the three components. If the incoming light is polarized, depending on the way the incoming light is polarized, the phase/angle of the polarized light may be biased. In other word, since some portion of the incoming light is missing due to polarization, the light diverted to the three components may not be constant. For example, 70% to viewfinder, 5% to light meter, and 8% to the AF system. If the light is polarized significantly, the portion of the incoming polarized light that can reach the AF system may be too low to allow the AF system work properly. Or, if the light that reaches the light meter is lower than the expect level, the meter will "think" the scene illumination is insufficient and force the camera to use a larger aperture and/or a slower shutter speed. As a result, you might get over- or under- exposed images.

To overcome this problem, a second plate is added to a polarizer to "repolarize" the polarized light. The polarizers that have one plate are the "linear" ones, and the polarizers that have two plates are "circular" ones.

Therefore, if your camera does not have a beam splitter, you can use linear polarizers. Virtually all consumer level digicams do not beam splitter, and all SLR/DSLR bodies have beam splitters.
Hope this answers the question well.

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:48 PM   #4

Yeah, what he said

I can't recall the actual reason behind it, but when I was buying stuff for my Nikon SLR, I did do some research around polorizing filter.

There was a reason why, can't remember, I end up with a Circular one. It is more expensive too.

Haven't regret it yet. Use it all the time in extreme bright condition. Add a neutral density on top of it if the condition is too bright.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 8:50 PM   #5

I went and tried a linear polarizing lens by Hoya and it acturally takes better pictures than my circular lens which is made also by Hoya. None of the FZ line of camera looks to me as beneficial having a circular polarizing lens.

Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:11 PM   #6

I have a FZ10 and have used a linear polarizer with it. Here are a couple pictures showing the dramatic difference:

..............1st with proper rotation

..............W/o proper rotation to eliminate the relection of a light on a shelf below a slanting window
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote