Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:59 PM   #1

I am ordering the FZ20. I do have one question though.

I am a relative newbie when it comes to digital photography. I am currently using a 2 MP that I bought in 2000. All of my pictures will be taken in the full auto mode to begin with. I hope to grow into the manual features as i get better.

My question is: What kind of results can i expect in the full auto mode with the FZ20?
Treasuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:03 PM   #2

From what I have read, you can expect excellent results for the most part. I have the FZ3, and although I rarely use automatic mode, the few times I have tried it, I was very impressed with the results. I think you will be very happy. Good luck!
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:06 PM   #3

I have the FZ20. As far as point and shoot... It's great. This is my firs digital camera. I've had it for about a month now, and just sarting to learn that there is a whole new world beyond point and shoot, and if you ever want to go there, the FZ20 is a great camera for the journey.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:33 PM   #4

I'll be the odd one out and say I was very very disapponted with full auto mode. The definition of good results is always subjective- so disregard me entirely if you like.
My expectations are high though- for the images I produce and I've always felt it's unreasonable to expect perfect images straight from the camera. I figure the human brain beats the camera's brain any day.
I have a 150.00 point and shoot that consistently produces better auto images. But- when using the FZ20 under manual mode the FZ20 wins hands down.
You'll be happy with the FZ20 or something comparable if you'd like to further your camera knowledge and learn along the way. The learning curve isn't very steep and photography is a rewarding hobby.
alethea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2004, 8:41 AM   #5

You can definitely get good results in fully automatic mode.

When you do finally get used to the camera and want to start fiddling around more... the first automatic thing I would turn off is focus. It's very easy to manually focus the camera.

After you master that, I would suggest learning how to manually white balance. This camera is no different from any other camera in that when you ask it to automatically white balance, it doesn't always guess correctly. Once you learn how easy it is to manually white balance (just point the camera at something white and push a button) you will start getting perfect colors in your pictures every time... and you won't have to do color correction with your image editing software. The only downside to the world of manual white balancing is that you have to remember to do it every time you use the camera in a different type of light. If you manually white balance today for those outdoor shots... and then tomorrow try to shoot indoor shots but you forget to set the white balance... it will still be set for the way you had it yesterday and the color in your pictures will be all messed up. So, once you start to go down the road of manually white balancing, you really need to train yourself to do it every time you turn on the camera... or anytime the light changes.

I personally have found almost no need to use the manual shutter speed or aperature settings... I just use the pre-programmed scene modes for "Sports", "Scenery", or "Portraits"... and those cover all the situations for me. Understanding those can really come in handy.

Jim Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:10 AM   #6

I am very interested in the manual white balance, could you elaborate just a bit more, I did try the manual focusing and I got some very good results with it, so I am ready to try more results!

I also finally learned how to turn the flash DOWN so it's not so bright to get better indoor pics...

I would be MOST grateful for any tips you have to give!

Thank you for your great info

redparrot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 7:41 PM   #7

Setting the white balance is really quite easy. On your camera go to Menu> W.Balance> Set (bottom choice). Aim the camera at something white and push the right side arrow (I believe) to set it. I keep a peice of white paper in my camera bag for just this purpose.
Or... play around with it and fine tune by picking a setting for white balance, such as sun, shade, ect. Press ^ until the WB Adjust appears. And then finely adjust by choosing different levels of blue or red.
Like Jim Zim said be careful that you readjust or choose default levels the next time you shoot in different lighting circumstances. I ruined my pumpkin patch pictures yesterday having forgot to reset. They were all blown out and terrible looking. We'll have to head there again later this week.
alethea is offline   Reply With Quote