Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:29 PM   #1

Hello all,

I would like to start by thanking everybody for the plethora of info on this forum (which I have been watching for a couple of weeks now). It is because of this forum that I was able to purchase a cable release, and get a great bag (the lowepro off road). Now I see people posting pictures of nature and I assume you are using tripods. I would like to buy a tripod (there is a place to carry it at the bottom of my off road). What I would like is a very small, but sturdy tripod. I was told Gitzo was the best, but their tripods are btw $400 & $600, which is a bit outrageous. But I am looking for a compact tripod that would telescope to about 5 feet. I also have a boyfriend in a band, and I have seen that they make these mini tripods, so you could put it on a table, if you were sitting (he usually plays small venues, and I usually sit at a table (like a dinner table) it would be nice to use a little tripod. Thank you all for being so knowledgeable!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:00 AM   #2

You may want to look into this one:

It folds to to 10" but expands to 50". I use it for my FZ1, but also use it on my Sony 8mm Handicam, which is much heavier than a FZ10. It is surprisingly sturdy/stable, and comes with a nice pouch with a beltloop for storage. I don't think you'll find a better backpacking type of tripod. I realize you wanted a max height of 5', but that extra 10" will cost you a lot in weight and collapsed size (at least in my experience). By the way, the shortest 10" height of this tripod makes a perfect table-top tripod -- a lot more sturdy than the little wire leggedones, and you can turn it into a 50" tripod(or anywherebetween) when needed.

The above linkis an Ebay auction, and I would advise looking at the sellers other items to findhis auctions for this same tripod that are ending sooner. If you're lucky, you can get one for in the mid-teens ($), but they're pretty popular so to avoid the frustration of losing the auctions, you may want to just plunk down the $20-ish using the Buy It Now option that's on some of the auctions. I did, and do not regret it.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:05 AM   #3

The one suggested may well be fine.

I bought a sunpak 3300 which is about a $80.00 tripod and I wish I would have got a better one.

I would get one that supports 10 lb just so it is well built and I would also get a fluid head so you can make fine adjustments when positioning.

One more thing I would want it to extend to 65" or so.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:27 PM   #4

I got a Quantaray - QSX-9500 Tripod. It extends up to 74. something inches, and has a geared head (nice and smooth). It holds up to 11 lbs. and is $79.00 at Ritz Camera. It's good unless you want something that is really top of the line.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote