Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:43 PM   #11

Treemonkey wrote:
Hi Sinister Purpose
Yes glass is indeed a liquid, believe it or not. I just is a very viscous liquid, in fact glass will only "flow" over the period of decades and even then by only small amounts.
Bob, as for the liquid lens, I wouldn't be selling the FZ20 just yet. I think it is a novelty and nothing more.
I am currently doing a PhD in Chemistry and know all about jazzing up results. I doubt if the optics will compare to glass, maybe in 10-20 years we may see a change but certainly not in the next few years. Although I do remember a lot of people saying that digital photography was never going to take off either! Maybe I should buy some shares in that company just to edge my bet!:lol:
You know - I'm not a PhD in Chem, and I remember reading somewhere that glass is a liquid as it has no "melting point" but I never bought it. Are there any credible links around? I would like to read more about that. It's just interesting.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 3:56 PM   #12

Well, I can see the glass-is-a-liquid myth is alive and well in Australia. Glass is not a liquid...

bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:55 PM   #13

I always thought that glass was made from sand.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote