Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2004, 6:06 AM   #1

I have purchased an FZ3 and am also very new to photography I am struggling to get shots in focus and a lot of my shots are slightly blurred

I have posted 2 pics here

I would appreciate if some experienced users could take a look and let me know what they think of sharpness and focus.

Beware files are large as they are direct from camera at large setting

Thank You

mylesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 10:14 AM   #2

When you speak of blur, are you referring to the background behind the swan in the first image?

Because if you are, you are simply seeing the depth of field effect due the f5.2 aperture.

The main subject, the swan, is perfect. Very sharp. Very nice shot. The background is slightly blurred as I would expect from an aperture of f5.2. Most people prefer to have this depth of field effect for portraits. It highlights the subject.

If your camera had been in Aperture control mode and you had set it to f8.0 then the background would have been a lot sharper. Try it with some test shots on an object in your living room. Take several shots in the "A" mode and start at f2.8 and work up to f8.0. Note the difference in shutter speed at the various settings.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:03 PM   #3

Thanks for reply I think I know that the background would be blurred in the swan shot Its just that that was probably the best shot i got most of my shots are out of focus I find the camera very difficult to focus even on the main subject now maybe its motion blur
mylesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:36 PM   #4

Well, if is an FZ3 it can't be my favorite method of getting out of focus pictures, leaving the camera in manual focus, but that's on an FZ20

What focus mode are are using. Try spot and see it that helps. Actually looking at the two shots, in both the subject is in clear focus. Its the foreground background which are not. I agree it looks like a depth of field issue.

wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote