Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:53 PM   #21

Ithink this guy is a SMOKESCREEN for steve so he can hide our post while where not looking.....

you know he is full of it......

well well well..... who will change the battery when it goes dead i would hate for you to have to push that lil latch to remove it.......

willow says S.T.F.U
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:34 PM   #22

I agree with what the others have said here - you should try and change the ISO setting to 50 or 100. Its a simple thing to do - a no brainer. If the quality is still the same then just return the camera.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:34 PM   #23

lukester01 wrote:
Again the camera does allow ISO control, but no shutter or appeture controls.
The camera does allow for slow shutter control in Normal Mode (thats the little red camera symbol ( for people with B.S. degrees)), and I can only guess what the B.S. stands for in this case.

I just went to Steves Review on your camera and learned all about it in 5 minutes, and I'm a 10th grade drop out with a GED.

lukester01 wrote:
Again I am attacked by people who dont want to hear the truth about this camera.
You want to know the truth about your camera?

It's not the camera... It's you using the camera... If you want a camera that even you can use... Get a disposible one (although you may have trouble with that as well). But then you can find a disposible camera forum to post your ignorence, and be attacked by people like me who are dumber thatn you.

lukester01 wrote:
I want a camera that can point and shoot with not having to mess with it. This is what MOST people who buy point and shoots want. The fact that there are cameras that do not require user intervention to take a good shot indoors is proof enough that the FX7 is not a good camera for this purpose and other cameras should be looked at.
Show me one... One that requires no user intervention what so ever...

Your best bet would be to hire a photographer.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:21 PM   #24

I think we should end up this thread and let this guy go to another forum where he can be understood and comprehended. Do us a favor and stop feeding this thread, this guy is not interested in learning anyhting he just wanna discredit the FX7 beacuse of his own limitations which IMO is not fair.
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:01 AM   #25

He did post the same topic on dpreview! The FX7 is a top pocket camera that you can find with a OIS. If he doesn't like it, just return it.

CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:08 AM   #26

Again, more with the insults. Relax people. I am not attacking you. I am glad that you are happy with the camera. And yes the camera has been returned.

My point again, since it keeps getting overlooking in your unfounded anger, is that this camera does not take good photos indoors on full auto. Look at the photos! Certainly I could have retaken the photo again at ISO 200, and then tried it again at 100, and then maybe changed the white balance up or down for each ISO to see how that changed the shot, and kept trying until I got a good photo. But wouldnt it be nice if the camera just took the good photo on the first try without having to guess at which ISO setting was going to give the best results? The fact is that the Canon S400 did take the photo correctly on full auto (and no I do not get blurr when people move,so the ISO does not drop too low).

There are different types of camera users, some are amateurs who only take quick point and shoots of kids and friends, others who are more of an enthusiast crowd and enjoy learning about how photography works and want to change settings. I am guessing that there are a lot of people out there just like me who would appreciate a camera that they didnt have to mess with. I am simply getting the word out that there to those people that there are other cameras that will serve the purpose better of the person who wants a completely automatic P&S. Does that make me and all those people dumb and lazy? NO. My intent was never to insult any of you, I dont believe I have. But what I have done is help to educate potential buyers about the limitations of this camera.

So please, act like adults. Understand that there are other people out there who want something different from you in a camera, and respect that.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:14 PM   #27

Being relatively new to the forums, maybe I can shed a little different perspective on the subject. I recently bought a Pana FZ3 to replace a point & shoot Fuji A205. The Fuji was fine for what it is, but there were conditions that it did not take a good picture, specifically sports photos in less than bright light.

The reason the Fuji was so bad was that it was designed to get a good portrait or landscape shot. This means that the the lens slows down to keep the ISO at 100. Only when the lens completely slowed down to 1/15 did it switch to a higher ISO. For my purposes, this was EXACTLY backwards from what I wanted. The whole point is that the camera was designed that way, and once I understood that, I knew that the camera would not do what I wanted it to do.

Apparently, from what you describe, the FX7 is designed the opposite, wanting to produce a sharp but noisy pic instead of a blurry one. But has a setting to allow you to override this behavior, it is a fair tradeoff and IMO a good design.

The big thing here is to use your head and figure out what the camera is doing (ie. how is it designed?) as there is no perfect camera. If the camera design conflicts with your needs, then this is not the camera for you, plain & simple.

If the camera were actually a piece of junk, the review sites would have pointed that out. Coming here and posting that the camera is a piece of junk because it doesn't meet your needs is going to guarantee a flame war (and all the personal insults that go with it).
dsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:34 PM   #28

You know, this post reminds me of one I saw at another site awhile ago. The post went like this.

"I just got the FZ10, how do I charge the battery" What !!! The answer was really easy.

Step one. Inside the box is also an instruction book, take that out.

Step two. Take the plastic off the instruction book.

Step three. Never mind the B/S degree, did they teach you to read at all.

Step four. Repeat after me "Dont ask where the battery is"

Step five. Good luck.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:57 PM   #29

Lukester - I sympathize with you. I keep a canon a70 around for family shots. Anybody can pick it up and shoot. I dont particualrly like the camera but .... Why are you replacing the a400?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:57 PM   #30

I appreciate your response. That is indeed how the camera is programmed. And unfortunately because of that it does not meet my needs. Even more unfortunate is that reviewers do not include that kind of insight into how a camera operates into their reviews. That is why I took it upon myself to inform people that the camera does not perform well for indoor flash photography on full auto. (unless you are photographing fast moving objects indoors)

I wish people could take a valid critism of how the camera operates and not take it as a insult because they happen to like the camera (though many who attack I dont think even own the camera). Instead they act like 12 yr olds in a video game forum. Completely unable to view things from a different persective, that of someone who wants good clear indoor photographs without having to change settings.

It would be nice if someone could provide a valid counter argument for the cameras choice of settings. Something like "I photograph sports indoors with it all the time and find its ability to capture the swing of the bat, though a little noisy, exceptional". And point out that if that is what you are looking for this is the camera for you. Even maybe provide some sample pics. So far the only good sample pics anyone has posted are either no flash indoors (which this camera apparently excels at, with is OIS), and outdoor pics. I simply pointed out the Canon S400 takes much better (image quality) indoor photos on full auto. Instead it becomes all about how I am dumb because I dont want to change the settings.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote