Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2006, 6:54 PM   #131

Well, I had tried to post before and erased it by accident.!!!

I have read on this site a few times and thought I should join in. I bought an FZ30 on ebay a few weeks ago and still learning about it. Prior to this I had an FZ10 which I have now passed on to my son.

I have been married for 24 years and have a 12 year old daughter and a 14 year old son and a Lhasa Apso called Teddy.

I work with new immigrants and refugees and also worked in a women's homeless shelter in downtown Toronto. I currently live in a small town called Georgetown, which is outside Toronto.

I enjoy reading, photography- in particular working on a personal project on photographing old barns etc before they are gone to new subdivisions!!!

I was born and brought up in Nova Scotia and have been to a few countries between either living or working there: US, Northern Ireland, UK in general, France, Israel, Greece, Mexico, etc.

Favourite music is defintely folk: such as Harry Chapin, Jesse Winchester, John Prine, Eric Boggle, Joan Baez, etc.

Hoping I can learn more about this camera as I am defintely a beginner but having fun!!!

So, hi everybody:: :bye:

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 9:24 PM   #132

Hello everybody,
I'm new to these forums and photography as well. I've been taking pictures since I was about 10 years old, but never really learned about photography up till now. I bought a new point and shoot digicam about two months ago, and since then I'm hooked on photograpy. I sold the point and shoot I had about two weeks ago and upgraded to an FZ30 after doing extensive research and reading lots of posts on these (and other) forums. Really loving it so far.
I currently reside in Japan where I teach Business English to corporate clients (Toyota, Sony, etc.), as well as German and French.

Background: born in Munich, Germany, but moved to the U.S. (Florida) when I was about 13 years young. I lived in Florida for about 14 years, went to college, got a degree, and now living in Central Japan since last year February.

Hobbies: Martial Arts, Guitar, Photography, and Music (mostly Rock)

Favourite Drink: Beer, and recently Chu-Hi

Favourite Movie(s): LoTR, Forrest Gump, SW, Crouching Tiger.., etc.

I really enjoy living in Japan, and I love my job. Can't wait to explore this beautiful country more with my new FZ30.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:05 PM   #133

Hello fellow earthlings,

My name is Tony Murphy. I'm a network engineer living in Lancashire in the UK.

I recently bought an FZ-30 after downsizing from a complete DSLR setup (Canon 20D + too many lenses). Due to my workload I never really did get chance to put all that equipment to good use, so after researching what i'd replace it with for over 6 weeks I finally chose the FZ-30.

Enjoy photographing wildlife, with a passion for macro photography (just ordered my 6T :G )

Since a few other have posted favourites, i'll give it a go:-

1. Favourite Music : Anything with a good guitar riff in it!

2. Favourite Books: Lord of the Rings ...no competition.

3. Favourite Movies: LOTR / Star Wars TRILOGY (not the new ones!) / Akira

4. Favourite Food: Indian / Chinese / Thai / Italian

5. Favourite Drinks: Jack Daniels / Grey Goose Vodka / Jim Bean Bourbon / Guiness

6. Favourite Pastime after photography: Playing EVE Online (computer game)

Factoids: 34 years Old, Married to Samantha for 5 1/2 years, no kids, 6 dogs, gadget boy, home cinema nut!

tonymurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:17 PM   #134

Hello fellow ‘Snappers'. I am essentially a shy person, but feel compelled by you good people to join in with this extrovert listing!

Dutch Dave

1. Favourite Music: Everything from Abba to Z.Z.Top and the P.C.D's.

1a. Least favourite music: (…and most overrated) "Reggae", "Speed-metal", anything with numbers and words mixed together (e.g. "B with me 2-nite" – often paired with "Baby" or "Bro'") and most culturally ‘important' "indigenous" music (take music and remove tone and melody).

2. Favourite Books: (Types and Writers) Any history topics. Biographies. Guy de Maupassant, Chekov and Spike Milligan.

3. Favourite Movies: Great British cinema c1930's to 1980. "Passport to Pimlico", "Man in the White Suit", "Lavender Hill Mob", etc.

4. Favourite Foods: Meat pies, mash, mushy peas and gravy.

5. Favourite Drinks: G & T, Scotch. Pale-Ale.

6. Favourite Outdoors: Top of the Empire State Building, Waterloo Bridge at Sunset.

7. Cameras: Chronologically –

Kodak Ektra 22-EF (110 cassette film camera, c1978 often twinned with light sabre),

Yashica FX-3 (c1983),

Pentax Optio 330,

DMC FZ10 (2003),

FX01 (2006) - Oh Mama!

8. Favourite Vacation Spots: Boston, St. Ives, N.Y. and London.

Factoids: As a teacher I am continually reminded how old I am becoming and how little youth think we ‘old' people know about being young! Hey I thought it at their age too... The cyclical nature of life is ever present as my wife and I hope to start a family soon. I hope I can be as good a Dad as my father has been.

Attached Images
Dutch Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:20 PM   #135

New FZ7 owner here, and other than the video camera on my bike, it's the first camera I've owned in 15 years. No life story, except that I'm a nature freak so I will primarily be taking pictures of the trees, bugsand birdies. My first camera was one of thoseDisc Cameras way back in grade school. (Do they still make film for those?) Hmmm...things have changed a bit...

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:49 PM   #136

1. Favorite Music: I listen to everything, guns n roses is my all time fav band!

2. Favorite Books: I love nicholas sparks hes my fav author so any book by him is my fav i have read all but three
3. Favorite Movies:house of wax, dirty dancing, walk to remember, grandmas boy, ladder 49, harrypotter movies..
4. Favorite Foods: chicken and i love italian food!!!
5. Favorite Drinks: Water, dr pepper and rooster boosters
6. Favorite Outdoors: fishing, running, walking
7. Cameras: i have a panasonic fz5 that was my fav it dont work anymore now i have a sony and its not the best but its doable for now!
8. Favorite Vacation Spots: im weird but i love iowa lol
Factoids: Im a lefty i use the right side of my brain! I have a 14 month old, im not married but taken! i work at a grocery store, and i drive a saturn lol!
heatherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:47 AM   #137

Justinian, aka "Donato": I live in Connecticut and only a 90 minute drive from NYC.
1. Favorite Music: Classical, especially Baroque, Mozart, Faure; Italian opera; Broadway musical theater.
2. Favorite Singers: Frank Sinatra, Harry Conick Jr., Michael Buble, Dionne Warwick. Linda Ronstadt.
3. Favorite Books: Political-International thriller novels, e.g., Tom Clancy; Fr. Benedict Groeschel's books; historical novels; biographies.
4. Favorite Movies: Sci-fi-Horror, crime dramas, war movies, political thrillers, historical epics, romantic comedy, e.g. - Alien, Werewolf of London, We Were Soldiers, Patriot Games, Sparticus, Gladiator, The Ten Commandments, Forrest Gump, Steel Magnolias, foreign films; La Vita e Bella.
5. Favorite Foods: La cucina italiana! (broccoli rabe, pasta al pesto, risotto del mare), Indian, Chinese, Moroccan, almost any ethnic type of food; baked, stuffed Maine lobsters; fried seafood platters w/ French Fries and Cole Slaw; coconut sorbet.
6. Favorite Drinks: Vino rosso, vino bianco, Samuel Adams beer (all kinds), Guinness Stout and cream ales, New Castle Dark Ale; Diet Snapple Peach Iced Tea.
7. Favorite Sports: tennis, baseball, basketball, fishing, walking, swimming...and of course, soccer...VIA ITALIA WORLD CUP WINNER 2006!!!

8. Cameras: Pentax *ist DL SLR; Panasonic FZ7 and FX-01; various lenses
9. Favorite Travel Spots: Italy, Israel, Egypt, Greece, Venezuela (before Hugo Chavez); Florida, California, Hawaii, and
ITALY ...(Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Siena, Lucca, Cortina, Gubbio, Orvieto, Florence, Pisa, Campania. I lived in Rome for three years and traveled all over that beautiful country.) I would love to visit India, Thailand & Cambodia (Siem Reap & Angkor), Australia and China.
10. Favorite languages: Italian; French, Russian. Would love to learn Arabic and Chinese but it is probably a little too late for that now.
11. Hobbies: Photography, Internet blogging, News junkie, movies, travel, reading, step aerobics, getting to know people from foreign countries; music and of course, good food; theology, medicine.
12. Favorite TV Shows: Law & Order, The Closer, 24, The 4400, Without a Trace, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Sci-Fi Channel...
13. Favorite Animals/Pets: I own two male Birman cats - Blue Point and Chocolate Lynx Point. I like dogs too, but do not own one at present.
14. Religion: Roman Catholic - practicing and devoutly interested in its theology.
15. Education: Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences (International Relations)and Nursing; two Master's degrees; Licentiate and Doctorate in Sacred Theology from Angelicum in Rome.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:43 PM   #138

Good afternoon,

I am de-lurking here, another newbie diving into world of digital photography. It's nice to meet everyone.

Originally from Europe, I live in US now, but when retirement comes, I plan to move back. I love to garden, and I am embarassed to admit that most of my pictures are flowers, plants, trees, tons of macros as well. Hmm, some landscape here and there but not many of them. I find flowers to be fascinating subjects, well, I won't make any $$ from taking those pictures but it surely is lots of fun.

I currently own Rebel XT with few lenses, but I realized that I would like something lighter and more portable, and from reading reviews and postsand from viewing pictures, I decided to gowith FZ30.Before Iclick onOrder button, I want to knowpricing on a new Fz50, perhaps that would be a better choice.

Things I like:

1: Favourite music. Anything from Mozart toRammstein.....

2:Favourite books.Science fiction, fantasy, histricalnovels.

3: Favourite movies.science fiction, comedies (british comedy :-)), drama.

4: Favourite foods.anything vegetarian

5: Favourite drinks.COFFEE! and I mean real coffee, not one of thoselatte with soy milk, one shot of caramel syrup,dairy free whipped cream things. No. Just give me a plain hot shot of fresh espresso with crema! Perhaps when I retire, I should move to Italy :-)

PetersP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:50 PM   #139

Just joined the site, but I'll play

Jeff, born and raised in greater Boston MA. Went to college in North Carolina (go Wolfpack) and moved back to the Boston area in 1995. Been here ever since. Began my MBA in Sept. 2005

Preparing for the second biggest adventure of my lifetime. First was getting married last summer. This one is two fold. One, I'm going on a month long trek through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. Maybe a little Hong Kong at the end. Then I am spending the fall in Tokyo, Japan for my fall semester of graduate school. My wife is going to stay in Boston and work, which stinks, but she will be coming for about three weeks at Christmas time.

1. Favorite Music: Led Zeppelin, Weezer,, U2, Nirvana, John Coltrane, Metallica, Radiohead, Miles Davis, all types of classical music except atonal stuff.

2. Favorite Books: The World Is Flat by Tom Friedman, the Draka series by SM Stirling, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

3. Favorite Movies: Full Metal Jacket, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Braveheart,

4. Favorite Foods: sushi, any seafood, all Italian, but in particular northern Italian (bistecca fiorentina)

5. Favorite Drinks: reposada tequila, a good scotch, Duvel, Stella Artois (for kicking back with a burger)

6. Favorite Outdoors:running and naturephotography (i'mstill a relative novice at the latter)

7. Cameras: Kodak CX 6440 (4mp 3x zoom) and Lumix FZ30
8. Favorite Vacation Spots: The Keys, Las Vegas, any destination that I haven't visited before.

Factoids: left-handed as well, greatly enjoy working out and am working very hard right now to get back to my "fighting weight" of about 230 lbs. As Eric Cartman would say, "I'm big boned!"
bostonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:58 AM   #140

Welcome to the forum,

Sounds like you're embarking on some big time adventures, best of luck to you. As far as coming to Japan, let me know if you have any questions. I live about 3 hours outside of Tokyo in the countryside, but I do venture into the big city once in a while:-).

fina23 is offline   Reply With Quote