Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 12, 2004, 4:12 AM   #1

I was wondering whether the FZ20 will be able to take advantage of the faster SD Ultra II cards? And what the performance difference between the normal SD cards and the SD Ultra II? Is it noticable when taking pictures and when transferring pictures to the PC?

Thanks once again for any help.

epatlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2004, 1:00 PM   #2

I've got an Sandisk Ultra II on order for my FZ10.

"But most importantly, a high-speed card will allow the Panasonic cameras to work much better when you are using the camera's high-speed burst mode. In boost mode, the camera can take a series of five pictures back-to-back extremely quickly. I've found this to be VERY handy when shooting kids and animals since they tend not to sit still! But if you buy a slow memory card, the burst mode won't work very well because the camera is sitting around waiting for the card to finish writing the pictures to the card. The memory card ends up being a bottleneck to the flow of data simply because it's too darned slow to keep up with the camera!"

Here's the original link

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:33 PM   #3

I would also consider the Kingmax 512MB 60x SD card. They are cheaper than sandisk and have had good reviews. I have one on order at the moment. I have read some where that the FZ series transfer limit is around 40x (~6 MB/s), cant remember where I read it though.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:40 PM   #4

I thought my 60x ATP seemed slow. Maybe that's why. Of course 5mp would naturally be slower than 3mp, which I was used to. Was using Ultra II compact flash with S1. In one of the past Panasonic forums I read that someone was having trouble with Ultra II sd cards which made me reluctent to go that route though their compact flash card has worked excellent.
jimr503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 5:36 PM   #5

I got 2 Scandisk Ultra II 512's. No problems... Great performance.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote