Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:10 PM   #31

Sounds like an awesome idea. I would love to sell even one picture (well, I have sold a couple before) just so I can say i did .

If you need any help with it or whatever, I am happy to help.

If we do make our own site, I think we should have some sort of internal (that is, only for the people submitting photos) voting system so that we don't get really bad pictures on the gallery.

The only problem I see with starting a new site is that it takes time for people to start visiting it. So if we do make a new site, make sure we factor how to get people to visit it .

Perhaps since there is a decently large number of people interested, word of mouth might actually work to a certian degree.

Well, in either case, it sounds great, I hope it works, and I would be happy to give some of my pictures.

Edit: (just thinking out loud here) Oh, and before the site goes up, there should already be a large base of photos.

Another thought, there should be an option for buyers to request a certian image and have it for cheap. So it would work like this. Customer wants a picture of X, this request is then shown to all the submiters of photos, they can then look through their own pictures or go out and take a picture that fulfils that requirement. If a photographer finds a picture that fulfils that request, they can then show it to the customer, who them decides whether or not to buy it. And the price for that photo would be more.
So it is similar to commisioning a photographer, but instead spending lots money to get a particular photographer to a particular place, they would spend less money to get a some random photographer to get the particular place.
And since they aren't paying tons of money, they don't have the guarantee that a photographer will get them the picture, but it would be a lot cheaper.

I don't know, perhaps I am just rambling.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:07 AM   #32

How many people here have their own (personal or commercial) websites? That would be one way to get the word out into the world. Also I like the idea of "many photographers in many places taking pictures of many subjects now" That could be the slogan for the service.
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:21 AM   #33

... I'm actually working on this. Stay tuned.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:09 AM   #34

I'd be happy to participate, Nick. Let us know what you need. - Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:19 AM   #35

I like your idea. Keep in mind, we've all seen less than fabulous photos in ads. You never know where they find this stuff. Photo shoots are expensive, and most graphic artists are always looking for anew, quick source, particularly humans/children. Some great exposure for some really talented people who post here. my 2 cents. joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:54 AM   #36

Nick, I too think you have hit on a great idea. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. I have seen some really good pics in this forum and have thought it would be nice to use their work in a business idea I have been putting together.

TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:39 AM   #37

NickTrop wrote:
I thought I might throw this out there...

Perhaps I don't have the most critical eye... But I have never seen such consistently amazing photographs - of all variety (...except nudes, perhaps) as I have on this forum. Perhaps I'm just partial... in fact, I'm sure I am. Nature photographs, macros, landscapes, etc.

What if someone (like myself...) put up a stock photography site for the posters here? Would there be any interest? Perhaps this is naive, but sometimes naivity can be an asset. Would anyone be interested in something like this? Bear in mind, I know nothing about the stock photography (that's what books are for...) but I have seen some work on those sites, and many here rival photos I've seen on pro sites. To my eye, they just do.

At this point it's just a curiosity, a ??? if you will to run up a flag pole. Is this something anyone intends to get rich off of? Nah! Just a way to promote your work, provide another excuse to take photos, and perhaps in the best case scenario provide enough bling to get you a coke.

Any thoughts? Am I being hoplessly naive? Like I said, just running it up the proverbial flagpole.

Sounds like a good idea Nick, if you can afford your time to it. If you need help, let me know. My limited knowledge of pc's and webs is not good, but if i can help you, I will. Cheers.....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:10 PM   #38

Nick, sounds very good, I think it's a great idea .
trus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 3:25 PM   #39

Sounds like a great idea and worthy of giving it a try as something interesting to do. Currently I am aspiring to duplicate the quality and beauty of this picture taken with my Olympus D-340R 1.3 megapixel camera.

herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:15 PM   #40

This is a very good idea. There are a lot of issues to be considered, but it could be a lot of fun.

Please count with me for that project.

I agree to put an "internal" voting system to decide which picture will be on and which not. I have made some pictures I like, but also I have tons of really bad pictures.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote