Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:59 AM   #1

I need to know how the FZ20 shoots in low light without a flash. I am a photo jounalist and shoot events where a flash is too disruptive. With the Z3 I own, I might as well get out a sketch book.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:27 AM   #2

The FZ20 is over an f-stop faster at full zoom but the same at wide. So you would have a little improvement if you shoot mostly at telephoto. You have probably already discovered that stabilization doesn't help at all for subject movement, but is helpful for still subjects in limited light. The really great burst mode on the FZ20 that recycles almost immediately gives you a lot better chance of getting a null moment in movement.

But the viewfinder gets dark enough in limited light that you can't capture expressions etc. It isn't a good camera for what you want it for.

Rather than keep buying cameras that don't really have much chance of satisfying your needs you need a DSLR and a fixed focal length lens in the range you usually shoot – or limited zoom if you can find f2 or better. You need a fast lens and a camera that can give acceptable shots at 800 ISO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote