Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Should Tim leave the forum?
Yes please, asap 0 0%
Not likely 17 85.00%
Doesn't matter 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:02 PM   #11

When I first got my FZ20 I spent days scouring this forum looking for tips, hints and ideas to help me get the most out of my new camera. The people whose posts helped the most rarely if ever frequent this place anymore. Could it be that they became sick and tired of the insecure bullies who can't accept criticism but rather require a daily ego massage?

bobc replied to my post with this nonsense,

I have nothing against comments at all. I am just an ameture. But... I don't think it's right that TimvdVelde allways has to add some kind of little smart remark.

And not just to me... To others on this forum.

I put a lot of effort into helping others with the little knowlege that I have. And when someone posts little smart remarks and thinks they are better than everyone else... It bugs me a lot. I am not the type of person to stand there and watch this guy degrade other members of this forum. And if he posted one of his little remarks about you, I would stand up for you too.

Cause thats just the kind of guy I am...

What arrogance. I neither need nor want you to "stand up for" me as I'm quite capable of looking after myself.

This is an international forum where English is the mandatory language and most members are capable of making allowances for grammar and perceived attitude differences.
You could have PMed Tim but instead made it public so I choose to follow suit.

Tim, you have some of the best bird photos I have seen and the tutorial on sharpening and other tips were very helpful. Whether you go or stay is up to you.

I know what I'm going to do.
Jaynah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:29 PM   #12

In a sense, this is both an interesting case study in "e" communications, and at the same time much ado about nothing.

Tim is not a troll. However, I would say he can be blunt and use charged phrases and does not always frame his suggestions in a positive tone. "I'm not impressed" is such a case. Whenever you combine criticism with "pride of authorship" it's a charged situation that can result in anger as is being illustrated here. I always try to temper criticism in order to avoid situations like this, which are a waste of time, energy, and can result in needless arguments depending on the personalities involved, which are always "unknowns" in a forum.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:32 PM   #13

Even though you are a little weird in the way you come across here, the wonderful thing about america and americans is that we have a little something called the first ammendment to our constitution, This allows in most cases something called freedom of speech, so as long as you are not a total butthead and really get outrageously insulting or abusive, stay around.
GnomonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:46 PM   #14

guys.....sorry but the comment to narmer can not be a mistake. or a culture issue When you tell some one that the photo he or she took "has nothing to do with photography" thats pretty straight forward...Like I said be for comments like this is uncalled for period....
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:46 PM   #15

Besides, maybe Tim is friends with Frank!!!

Go to People Pics forum to see Frank's (Frank Doorhoof) work.

If you have not ventured there, oh ye respected and love fellow "panasoms" :-), I heartily recommend you do so.:idea:

Frank is a virtuoso.

Take the trip from this "P" forum to da udder "P" forum and go see Frank.

I believe without reservation that you will be impressed.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:57 PM   #16

thanks for all the feedback.

I'm not sure how to react to this But it's pretty obvious now not everybody wants me to leave. I'm glad you understood me well this time.

I don't know frank doorhof personally, butI know his work from the dutch forums. He has got his own 'style' and I certainly admire that, I hope i'll have my own 'style' to in the future.

btw: I'm staying :blah:
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:49 PM   #17

It is good to see that you are staying tim. My personal opinion is that constructive criticism is a good thing and through it we learn. When I posted some dragon fly pics in the close-up forum you replied saying that the composition was pretty bad. To be honest I thought my photos were pretty good and my first thought was hey that comment was a bit harsh but it caused me to look at the photo again and I saw you point and you were right. I now try and take more time and think more of composition because of your comments. But this is only me and while I like constructive criticism other in this forum want encouragement and can be put off by criticism. I can understand this, especially when starting off. The last thing you want to hear on your first post is something negative. It is a fine line that is difficult to stay on.
Saying that though I have found some of your comments to be plain criticism rather that constructive criticism. Comments like "this has nothing to do with photography". I dont believe this adds anything useful to this forum and there is nothing gained through saying that. If you dont like something I believe it is always best to say why you believe that and give a good reason for your thoughts. Of course I have been known to say a few things without thinking of the consequences so we can all make mistakes.

Again it is good to see you staying as you obviously have a lot of knowledge to share with this forum but try to use constructive criticism rather than criticism.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:32 PM   #18

Tim -just post a terribly humilating photo of yourself, we'll all have a little chuckle and we'll put this subject to bed. Welcome back aboard!
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:35 PM   #19

Your continued presence is requested and your honest critiques are most welcomed by me.I do know that a matter of style and opinions differ but you offer much to the members here that is far more positive and constructive than the other way around.

My Vote: Stay!
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:42 PM   #20

If you read my post on the b&w bird... Everyone gave me pointers in which I thanked them.

You where the only one who had to throw in a little smart remark.

Then I start reading other threads, and just about everyone that you posted on... Another little smart comment mixed in with your helpful hints.

That is why I got mad... And that is the only reason. I can take any critacism from anyone... But when someone feels that they always have to throw a little smart remark in with it... Should I just sit there and put up with it?

And if I read any post in which you feel you have to add a little smart remark to someone else... Should I say nothing?

I am sorry, but I have a set of standards that I live by. And I will not sit idle and not make an attempt to right a wrong.

For example... I was in a bar and a person of a different race walked in... A guy (who I did not know) looked at me and made a ratial comment... I told the guy in a very blunt manner that I did not appreciate what he said, and how would he feel if it was the other way around... Then I told him to shut up. Sure he could have turned it into a physical thing, and maybe even beat me up... But that did not stop me from standing up for what I believe in.

It's obviouse that you have a great deal of knowledge with photography and PS. Probably more than I will ever have.

And I am beginning to see... That... Is more importand here than someone like me who is not affraid to stand up for something, and does not have much photographic knowledge.

After all it is a camera forum.

So... I am the one who will leave.

I would appreciate it if you where more polite to the members of this forum though.

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote