Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:32 AM   #1

Hello fellow pana users.

I've been lurking here for a while now,so Ithoughti'd post my first pic. Got my fz20 (my first camera)inmid Jan. and already ihave taken so many pictures. Only got my mcon-35 last week so I have been experimenting with the macro side of photography. This is one of many shots taken after a short rain shower. Thanks to treemonkey for the inspiration with his refractions series.

Straight from camera, no pp, only cropped.

Comments or critisisms more than welcome.

Attached Images
Brenno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:45 AM   #2

Verrry nice. Very nice, indeed. Sharp as a tack, good colors and dof. Another macrophotographer joins the board. Welcome.

--- Just an aside, most folks try to crop to 600X800 largest. Downloads quicker, and you can see the whole frame without scrolling.

Looking forward to your future posts.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:16 AM   #3

Incredible detail in your drop.

The branch gives the viewer continuity and conveys the path of the drop.

The only thing I might suggest is to lower brightness slightly and bump up the constrast to give a little more clarity to the branch.

Heckuva first post!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:13 PM   #4

very nicely done! just a teensybit soft at the edges, but that could easily be DOF for the mcon-35, which if i'm not mistaken is a very simliar lensto the Nikon 6t... i like the way the subject is isolated from the background, and the refracted image of the leaves in the droplet is excellent! i agree with digicamfan, tho, a tad more contrast, and maybe a notch or two less brightness (gamma correction or shadow fill orwhatever your PP software calls it) would help make the branch and the droplet stand out even more. all things considered, and with zero processing done to the image you posted, though, it's an excellent first effort!

i hope you'll forgive me for taking the liberty of tweaking it just a tad, but here's what it looks like with a bit more contrast and a little less brightness... also resized to fit this board better, and cleaned up just a bit of noise in the background...
Attached Images
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:24 PM   #5

Nick, Digcamfan, and Squirl033 - thank you all so much for your kind words and helpful comments.

Nick - I hope to post many more shots here, hopefully all just as pleasing to the eye. I did this crop quickly just before bed on my girlfriends computer with her only pp program Corel. I dont know the program very well. It seems as if it has saved it at 72 dpi, hence the huge size (not sure though). Generally I use PaintShop Pro or Photoshop to crop. Thanks for the info re posting.

Digcamfan - Thanks for the tips, I will look at pp-ing the photo tonight and see what I can do. Better go and start researching the PP forum now!

Squirl033 - Please feel free to tweak as you see fit. You have done anexcellent job with it by the way, thank you.

It is by participating in these forums that the new camera user can learn so much from other users.

After deciding to look for a camera (like i said, my first ever camera - film or digital), i spent so much time looking at both these forums and the forums on dpreview, the pic's and info posted by the forum community helped immensly. In the end I just had to have a Pana fz20. Whilst I am new to photography in general, I feel that by actuallyreading and researching, rather than just asking basic questions which would have been coveredelsewhere on any of the forums, I have learned so much (and still so much to learn).
Brenno9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 7:48 PM   #6

yeah squirly that's a nice job cleaning up that print with a few minor tweaks ...good lesson that post pocessing is very important to the final out come ..reminds me of the old adage..........less is more...
nice shot brenno9 ..
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote