Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

Hopefully i'll be buying a FZ20 next Friday, Feb 18th, and I was wondering just how good does the FZ20 perform at shooting sports? in this case it'd be outdoor tennis and we should have pretty good lighting as it'll be 3-5pm or so.

since i only got a 105mm Powershot A75 shooting close up sport pictures has been out of the question so far but will i be able to take a picture of lets say a player getting ready to spike the ball zoomed in and with the background blurred? i kind of have some ideas for the shots i want to take already but i dont know just how well the FZ20 will work for that type of thing...

Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2

haven't tried shooting sports myself with the FZ, but by all i've seen, it should do fine in terms of freezing action, etc. it will defnitely get you a lot closer to the court than the 105mm equivalent zoom you're used to!

as for your second question, the best way to do what you want (sharp focus on a player preparing to serve, for instance, with the background blurred) will be to keep use the aperture mode to keep the lens set at f2.8. that will give you a relatively shallow depth of field, which will help blur the background, especially if there's some distance between the player and the background. since most outdoor tennis courts have at least 10-15 feet, often more, between the backline and the fence or stands, you should be able to keep the player in sharp focus and at the very least put a soft focus, if not blur, the background. how well that effect turns out is in part determined by how close you are to the subject, as well.... it's easier to blur the background if the subject is closer to you than to the background. for your tennis matches, that may not be possible, but try for the closest location and angle you can get.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote