Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:57 PM   #1

While I am waiting for my new FZ20 to arrive, I thought I would ask whether any experienced users have any suggestions/recommendations as to what to do when the camera arrives (besides read the manual and take lots of pictures). Are there any recommended benchmark tests or intialization procedures to see that the camera is operating properly, or which ensure that it works best in the future? For instance in some laptops it's a good idea to cycle the battery at first to maximize the charge it holds. Also, I'd hate to discover a problem only after the (rather skimpy) 90 day warranty expires.

In addition, suggestions as to ways to learn what the camera can do would be appreciated, eg different scenes, settings etc -- I saw a useful post recently on how to shoot the moon (so to speak). Sorry to be such a newbie; I'm upgrading from a P&S toy (Canon S110), so I'm lost as to where to begin. :?:
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:32 PM   #2

Start with this..................
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:39 PM   #3

charge you battery. read the manual, then get a sunday NY times and wait it out.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4

shotgunbride wrote:
charge you battery. read the manual, then get a sunday NY times and wait it out.
or, spend the time trying a few shots in each photo mode. make sure all the settings work. try the burst mode, high and low settings, and contuous. make sure the zoom works smoothly, and that the manual focus functions properly. check the EVF as well as the LCD display, and make sure the EVF diopter adjutment works. try the flash. review pictures, including zoom reviews, in-camera cropping, etc. make sure the camera writes to the memory correctly, and deletes images properly. there's plenty you can test while you're waiting for the initial battery charge to be used up, and it'll also help familiarize you with your new camera.

by the way, congrats on your new purchase!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote