Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1

Hello all again,

I read a snippet of the expected new release of the FZ4 camera; from what I've read it sounds like a great camera to own, the biggest difference being the higher megapixel (4MP). However, the professional review givenon the DCresource websitepointed outthat the FZ4's pics were a bit too sharp, "jaggy."

If you were in my position, would you sell the FZ3 and upgrade to the FZ4?

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:08 PM   #2

FZ3 to FZ4 probably not worth it. FZ3 to FZ5 would seem more reasonable though once again of questionable worth. FZ1 to FZ5: now we're talking. And I plan to do just that. As to dcresource's jaggies report, I dont see it in the samples there or here http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23 But that will be something I'll be looking at when I get the fz5 in late April. Pre-ordered from Amazon. I'm also not too worried about noise unless the VenusII engine is over-aggressive andplasticizes the image. Once again, the samples don't show that. If you're really considering an upgrade to the FZ3, why stop at the FZ4?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:38 PM   #3

I agree with fmoore, I see no need to upgrade unless you want to surcome to the great marketing gimmick that is MEGAPIXLES! The differences between the two cameras seems to be tiny so whats the point in wasting all that money. A much better option in my opinion is to spend that money on cool add ons like close-up adaptors, tele lenses, wide angle, external flash....
Those add-ons will make a massive difference in the ability of your FZ and you will learn more as a photographer as well.

I will upgrade from my FZ-10 when, 1- It dies (hope this doesnt happen), 2- Panasonic brings out a camera that is significantly better than it (the FZ20 is really just a firmware upgrade of the FZ10!), 3- I save up enough money to get my nice little nikon D-70.

If consumers stop being mesmerised by megapixles then digital camera companies will actually have to make better cameras!

Just my opinion hope I didnt ruffle to many FZ-20 users feathers.

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:42 PM   #4

As fred said FZ3 to FZ5 would make sense, but do it when the price is low
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:21 PM   #5

Thanks for your feedbacks guys. But from what I've read on Dpreview, the new FZ4 and FZ5 sounds more advanced. If I DO decide to upgrade, it will make more sense to go with the FZ5 (as fmoore suggested).Hopefully, the price will have dropped a little by then. If the MSRP is around $500, forget about it. That said, I don't have a problem with the FZ3, it is a great, fun, relativelyeasy to use camera (albeit, I still have ways to go to understanding the full potential of this camera). Treemonkey, you raised great points too. I'll probably stick with Panasonic unlessanother company, myother favorite brand, Canon, comes out with a successor toits S1 ISmodel that can matchand/or beatthe FZ series cameras.

Anyways, in case some of you haven't read the brief overviews of the two cameras, I have provided a link below.

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote