Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:46 PM   #1

I hope someone can help me.

I went this weekend for my doll business to the Toyfair in Newyork, and I took some pictures in 2048x1536 pixels in fine mode..when I came home this morning the pictures looked great, but after I resized them in 640x480 ( file size 75kb ) they looked blurry.

what can I do to to keep the pictures nice.:?

ps: the reason that I have to keep my pictures around the 75kb is that I can't upload them to a photo storage when the file size is bigger, and the load timefor people with a dial up connection is to long.
color is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:07 PM   #2

Well, I kind of talk about it here as far as bicubic and then some selective sharpening: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...45&forum_id=23

Sometimes the shot will have enough on the darker side of things that I know will then get too dark when shrinking that far, so I do a contour midrange operation bellcurve thingie that really keeps as much detail and regional luminance values as possible. But sometimes the 75 K thing can be a real beeotch - I haven't had to punch a detailed JPEG that far down for a couple years. But as I recall, wheat I mentioned in that thread above, and here - but just more of it.

What's tough sometimes besides details and color areas starting to look harshly noisy if sharpened too much, and washed and blurry like a 4th-generation VHS copy if not sharpened enough, is to keep the sky from banding really bad if it's landscape, or walls and ceilings occasionally if not. A good wide blur in just the non-edged areas, or a couple selective runs through Neat Image can help with that.

If I think of any other caveats I'll mention them later.
greenboy is offline   Reply With Quote