Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What Brand do you favor? (Macro/Wide/Tele)
Raynox DCR-150,250/DCR-720/DCR-1540 4 50.00%
Canon 250D/WD-55/TL-55 0 0%
Olympus MCON40/WCON-07/TCON-17 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:45 PM   #11

NickTrop wrote:
bmccoy wrote:
[b]NickTrop wrote:The information on the DCR-720 that you have posted, as well as others, leads me to believe that I would also be happy with that lens and for the price I don't see anything that will beat it.
It's really a sleeper, the 720. This lens, more than any other, totally changes the dynamics of the camera because it's one of the few that truly allow you to zoom through. So (don't quote me on the specs...) You change your camera from a 35mm to 410mm focal length, to a 26mm to (around) 320mm(?). Point is, the 12X zoom is "still there", but you start with a field of view 38% greater that the standard lens provides. The trade off is on the max zoom side but 320mm is still a tremendous zoom. With the 720, you get the best of both worlds, very good wide, and (still) excellent tele capabilities. ...

... The lens doesn't vignette, stays sharp in the corners, and works well with an 55-52 mm step-down ring. I think people get put off by the barrel distortion but that's a quick-n-easy correction in PS or PSP. The lens is also nice and light. -> Note you MUST use an external flash with any WA adapter, as it will cast a shadow using the on-board only <-

It's now "part" of the camera. I leave it on at all times.
I like this WA adapter, a lot.
__________________________________________________ ___

Fred makes a good point regarding Oly and 55mm.
Nick thanks again for your input. I am really interested in the 720, in fact I think this may well be my next purchase. On the point about external flash. Do you find you are using flash with the 720 for indoor pictures more, or about the same amount as if you used just the FZ. I do not yet have an L or a slave unit, so If they are needed most of the time indoor then I'll need to add that to the list.

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote