Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am planning to get a digital camera for a trip to Aust. I have 2 camera's in mind, Casio EX-P505 and Panasonic DMC-FZ5

Can anyone me advise on these 2 cameras. I mean, i know most of the specs already. I love the Casio for being small and sleek with a rotating LCD. But I have read reviews that the image produced by the Casio P505 is not the sharpest in it's class. I have downloaded a few photos and see them myself though. It appeared to have little noise and not as sharp as the Panasonic. On the other hand, the Panasonic FZ5 is bigger and more bulkier compared to the Casio P505. It also does not have a rotating LCD and it's smaller than the Casio's P505 LCD. Also I heard that the Panasonic do not have a manual focus. What is a manual focus? And is it necessary. Also, the Panasonic FZ5 does not look as sleek and unique like the Caiso P505 (My own opinion) But one thing best about the Panasonic FZ5 is that it produces better image quality than the Casio. It appeared sharper and less noiser than the Casio P505.

One thing i like to know is, whether the Panasonic has a pop-up flash like the Casio. Also the Panasonic FZ5 appeared to have a larger lens. Is having a larger lens better than a smaller lens.

Can someone compare both the Panasonic FZ5 and Casio P505 images and tell me whether I compared them correctly. That the Panasonic is much more superior than the Casio. Thank You!

So the question is, which is more important? Functionality like the Casio P505 or Photographic Qualities like the Panasonic FZ5. Of couse i'd like to have both of best worlds.

Please Advice~

Thanks you

fodio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:55 PM   #2

From Steve's Review Here...

Bottom line - the EX-P505 was a mixed bag. While it was a speedy performer and excelled in portrait and macro photography and records significantly "better than average" motion video, its average image quality and MSRP of $500 make it a bit expensive. If 5-megapixels and a 5x optical zoom are just what your looking for, check out our review of the Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom, which can be had for about $150 less

The selling point the the Pana cameras is its 12X optical zoom lens, that stays amazingly bright throughout the range, coupled with its image stabilization system.

I think these two make an odd comparison. The Casio seems to be a hybrid digital video camera/digicam. If that's what you want it occupies a unique space. However, like most electronic hybrids - though convenient, they always seem to wind up doing a mediocre job at both functions. The Casio seems to be an "average" digicam, and a subpar digital video camera rolled into one. It's like an "all-in-one" washer-n-dryer isn't nearly as good as a stand-alone washer and a stand-alone dryer but it does save space and is less expensive than buying the pair.

If you're looking for just an overall "better" still camera, and not too interested in enhanced video capabilities, go with the Panasonic.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:52 AM   #3

I happen to have the Casio EX-P505 and the Panasonic FZ-20 (sorry, not the FZ5 but close).

Pros to the EX-P505:
Tiny - I was shocked at its compact size
Video - Captures 640x480 @ 30fps with stereo sound and zooms during recording
FlipScreen - much more versitile display compared to the FZ
Battery Performance - very good (but small proprietary battery)

Weak flash
No optical viewfinder
LCD res less than desired, pictures looked fuzzy on screen but were crisp when downloaded
As Nick listed, No Image Stabilization. Because of it's small size, it was hard to take sharp pics past 3x zoom.

It's definately a unique little all in one unit with exceptional video quality for a still cam. If still images are your priority, especially indoors, absolutely go with the FZ5 and get a dedicated digital video cam later. The Casio's whole value for that price tag is how much it does in one small package, video is really good, but pictures are average.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote