Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1

After all the fine replies to my previous post about the Pan Z20 being No.1 camera I have been doing more research to the replies. I have been reading that the Z1v2 and other Z's are easier to use or learn to use compared to Z20. Can you explain that more? Why so?
I now have a Nikon950and a CanonS100 and am looking towards the Z20 for next camera. Some of the comments about ease of use for the Z20 makes me hesitate. I don't use manual mode too often. As before, thanks for your help.
picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 8:10 AM   #2

The FZ-1v2 was designed as a point-n-shooter with a big zoom. Most upgrade the firmware to make it an FZ2, which gives you aperture priority mode, and shutter priority mode, and a little better jpeg compression, and a tiny bit quicker auto-focus.

It's hard to recommend one camera over the other, especially since I have no basis for comparison. There are downsides to it. No 100% manual mode, very weak flash (not so great for indoors - but if you get a slave flash, problem solved...), No AF assist light (I've use spot exclusively, and have gotten pretty good at getting a quick focus - usually, but it takes some time and practice...), no manual focus... and it's only got 2 megapixels.

However, the heart of the camera is the same: OIS-Venus engine-"Leica" 12X zoom lens. It's also smaller than the 10,15,and 20. If you're on a budget, or like to shoot ir, or both, the FZ-1 is worth taking a look at.

The FZ-20 is an excellent camera, it's the flagship of the line. Most would say it's a far better camera than the FZ-1. However, I am happy with the FZ-1.

Sometimes you just gotta decide, and take the plunge.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:12 AM   #3

I own the FZ20 and never had problems with the ease of use.. Maybe it's a little searching if it's the first digicam you own; but if you have worked with them before, it's quite easy to find your way.

I'd say don't let the easy of use stop you from buying a great cam; there's a great manual included which has all the answers; and once you've 'tamed' it, everysetting can be altered in just over a few seconds (no really, it can be done that fast :?)

Cheerio! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:45 PM   #4

To NickTrop and Greenbaron,

Thanks very much. You make me feel more at ease. I'll take the plunge for a Z20 as soon as I find out best place to buy.

May be back here again for that:>)

Thanks again.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:59 PM   #5

This is the first digital camera i have owned, (the fz20).And pretty much the first camera of any kind with more than a shutter button. So you would probably say I'm an absolute amatuer. I had used some of my friends point and shoot Kodak EasyShare cameras briefly, but basically doing just that, pointing and shooting. It took me a few weeks to get brave enough to start playing with the manual settings on this camera, but I have become used to them pretty quickly. If you want to start shooting in "P" mode, then i find it just as easy as any other camera to use. I still have ALOT to learn about this camera, and photography in general, but it's an excellent camera to learn with. I have no regrets whatsoever about choosing the fz20!
spidamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:12 PM   #6

The FZ20 has more features than the others in the FZ line, and that is probably what people are referring to when they say that it might be a little harder to learn. On any of the FZ cameras, if you just set it to "P" mode and start shooting, you will probably be OK. As your confidence level rises and you skills improve, you will be able totake advantage ofmore and more of the advanced features. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the FZ cameras.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:19 PM   #7

The FZ20 is a definite winner of a camera as are the rest of the FZ's.

I have the ability to compare since I have the FZ1v2, FZ10 and FZ20.

Each one are different in how they process straight out of the camera.

The FZ20 has the most functionality out of the three I have.

I prefer the FZ1v2 for its size and IR capability. It takes pictures with little PP needed over the other two.

When using PP and the ability to crop with either the FZ10 or FZ20 it has a definite advantage over the FZ1v2.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:44 PM   #8

To spidamonkey, propwash, and vIZnquest: much thanks for your responses. I will now begin the process to figure out where to purchase the Z20. You have been of great help as the others.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:11 PM   #9

I prefer the FZ1v2 for its size and IR capability.
How about the IR capabilities of FZ20 ?
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:38 PM   #10

I would look for a FZ30......twice the camera of a FZ20 and I own both.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote