Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:03 AM   #1

hi all,

i am a little confused with regards to lenses. i understand that macro lenses are used for magnification and close shots. however i found some closeup lenses from hoya today at much cheaper prices. they also boast a +4d. please advise what is the essential difference??

thanks for all your help in advance.

neoliyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:54 AM   #2

The Nikon is able to focus sharply through the entire field of view thanks to the two lenses. Single lens diopters like the Hoya can magnify but the edges will not be in focus while the center is sharp, spherical aberration is I believe what the cause is.

If you want a picture where the entire frame is in view your best pick is a quality multiple lens design. Nikon has the 6T and other "T", Olympus MCON is an option, the Raynox DCR250 has also been well reviewed.

Most of the users here seem to opt for the 6T Nikon or the Raynox DCR250 and the results with either are great. I like my 6T.

There was one multiple lens lower price 10+ lens that recently appeared on the market, I forget the name but the sample shots I saw were pretty bad - edges blurred - this demonstrates the need for quality construction in a multiple lens design.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:14 AM   #3

I agree with Psycholey...stick with the 6T/4T...depending on your adaptor size. These are easier to work with than the raynox, start out with these and if you seem to have reached the limits of these (which will take some time, trust me) then graduate to the raynox

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote