Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 16, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1

Hi All. I'm new to the forum, just got myFZ20 this week and just took my first few photos today. I was reading the thread about getting to know each other, very interesting. Thought I'd do something a little different and tell you about where I'm from, Lethbridge, Alberta CANADA. Population about 70,000. Located 100km west of the Rocky Mountains and 100 km. north of the Canadian - American border. Attached image is of the "High Level Bridge" probably the most photographed landmark in this part of the country. It is the tallest and longest train bridge of its kind in the world, a mile high and a mile long. The bridge was constructed in the early 1900's by the Canadian Pacific Railway. It spans across the Oldman River at a place we call "Indian Battle Park" aptly named because it was the scene of the last great Indian battle between the Cree and Blackfoot nations in around 1860. On the west side of the bridge you can see another structure, this is part of the old No. 8 mine. Lethbridge was a coal mining town in its early years. The mine has long been abandoned and there are attempt to turn it into a historical site.

I've been enjoying the banter and feedback that this forum provides since joining earlier this week. Look forward to hearing your comments and will be posting more soon.
Attached Images
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2005, 5:11 PM   #2

Narcis Oblivion wrote:
It is the tallest and longest train bridge of its kind in the world, a mile high and a mile long.
It's actually only 100 metres high (320 feet), although a mile sure woulda been something. Quite a feat to build that nearly 100 years ago. Great pic though and welcome to the forum. :-)
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 8:15 PM   #3

I also have a picture of that bridge but i couldnt remember where it was. I took that picture 15+ years ago and for the life of me coudnt remember where it was (or is). I was on my way to Banff B.C. coming from WI. at the time.

Finally after many headaches i know where it is again..

Thanks for the picture and info.
Dntouch is offline   Reply With Quote