Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:13 PM   #1

I've got an FZ20 which I connect to my IBM T42 Thinkpad without a hitch (XP2).

A friend just bought an FZ5. Tries to connect, gets a message that says disk needs to be formatted. Format does not work, however, and card must be reformatted via the camera.

This is an IBM thinkpad model X40, also running XP2. Device manager shows everything to be working, and shows correct name for device.

So, I connect his camera to my Thinkpad and it works OK. Try to connect my camera to his Thinkpad, and it is the same message.

So clearly, there is something wrong with the USB drivers but install/uninstall device or hardware does no good.

Thoughts on how to fix, please.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:41 PM   #2

One of the moderators over on Tech Support Guy came up with this procedure to reset the USB drivers. I haven't personally tried it, but he has been pretty reliable:

"Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly."

If his USB works for other devices and you can't get it sorted out, a card reader is less than $20 and usually works.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 6:16 AM   #3

Dear Slipe,

Followed this advice to a T... as a matter of fact you must reboot twice because the machine won't come up the first time. Plugged camera in... laptop fiddles around installing drivers... tells me I must reboot.

Fingers crossed, I hope this fixes the problem (hope is not a strategy, BTW). No deal... still wants to format the SD card each time it tries to access the camera.

Thanks for the suggestions... too bad they didn't work... now open to any other suggestion.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:25 AM   #4

This is something that worked often in 98 but I am not sure of XP as I have had no problem.

Look in device mgr and screen shot the entries. then boot the computer into safe mode and look in device manager again for duplicate entries in 98 they could only be seen in safemode,

If there are any, remove all instances of those entries(not just the dups but all instances of the dups) and reboot ..windows will install just one of each.

Maybe time for the recovery console
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 9:28 AM   #5

I also have encountered some small problems with FZ-20. One PC sometimes doesn't recognise camera, so I have to reboot PC and only then PC recognises it. Not a big thing, but stiil...
But on other PC it's just fine with connecting, but I can only connect only once and if I unplug the camera I need to reboot PC to get connected again.
But when I connect to laptop ther's no problems - I can gen conncected how many times I want.
I'ts not a big problem for me because I actually do get connected. But it's little bit annoying sometimes :roll:
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote