Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 2, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1

Seems pretty good...

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2

bobc wrote:
I agree bob, its a sweet looking Cam.

Swivel LCD <VERY Cool
Manual focus
12X zoom f2.7/f3.5

only thing too many buttons in the right hand grip area.
does it gain up at low levels ?

look at this image.... impressive, from a CAD model probably Pro_Engineer or Ideas

Perhaps Pana with the FZ20 replacement have some surprises.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:07 AM   #3

Hey Guys, it sure does look sweet, wonder what kind of $ tag they put on it, and yes one wonders if they have increased the gain-up at low levels, maybe Canon have been reading our post?????
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 2:49 AM   #4

You guys are right the s2 does look cool.As far as having to many button on the right side, I thought the same thing, then I looked at the s1 and its pretty much identical.
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 3:23 AM   #5

Interesting. I think the only camera that could sway me from the FZ10, is the Nikon 8800. I'll wait for the fullimages from Steve first though from the S2. What I do is to D/L the full image of the brick building he always does with each camera. Then compare the sky, the bricks, chimneys and signs in that particular shot. The power lines show the CA from a camera. The number on the waste bin show the resolution, etc, etc. I find that full shot shows more things than the Dpreview tests. Its also real life.

Might be crazy, but thats what made me go for the FZ10. :-)

Anyway, thats just me and how I decide, so I'll wait for that particular shot first. The Nikon 8800IMHO, takes some beating at the moment.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 4:59 AM   #6

I think it does have low light gain up

"A Night Display function assists with framing in low light. Electronic viewfinder (EVF) brightness is adjustable to one of 2 levels"

Another thing I noticed was the CCD is the same size as in the FZ's. I personally don't like the design of it - but the CAD drawings are cool.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 7:22 AM   #7

This the one that could knock Pany off its pedestal. Should be out in a couple of months. MSRP - $500; but you know that will come down substantially. Swivel lcd and superior video modeare enticements. Also manual focus. Bottom line - image quality. That is yet to be seen. "Leica" lens and VenusII engine are hard to beat and have not been matched yet on a image stabilized ultra zoom. We'll see.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:34 AM   #8

I don't see any focus ring there, so it's probably going to be like it is in the Fuji S5500 , where oyu adjust teh focus with these two buttons in the back of the camera. I've tested it, and the stupid thing feels so wrong...
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 11:40 AM   #9

I think image quality will be the big question. They're using a 1/2.5 sensor for 5 megapixels on the S2. The G5 had a larger 1/1.8 with 5 megapixels and was real noisy with a lot of CA, so we'll see how it turns out. Looks like the focus is controlled by lever on the upper right side on the back of the camera.
Attached Images
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 11:42 AM   #10

I got my FZ5 last week and found a nice compact case for it and it's ready to go anywhere with me. Maybe even to the store when the S2 comes out.

jneil is offline   Reply With Quote