Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 12, 2005, 6:34 AM   #1

I just picked up the FL28 flash, but I'm unsure how to use the settings. IF I set my FZ10 to 5.6 aperture priority, how do I set the flash for a 5 ft shot as well as a 20 ft shot?

photobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 6:38 AM   #2

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 4:15 PM   #3

I would be interested to find out more about using this flash also. I use this flash in auto mode and found that adjusting the dial between 2.8 and 5.6 increases the flash range. I have only used a flash a few times so I am not familiar with them. It seems to me the documentation that came with the unit is very poor.

I need a Flash 101 lesson!
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 4:20 PM   #4

From DVRP forum

"I have the FL-28, and yes Panasonic yet again tries to elude us as to its specs. And it only swivels up and down, not side to side. It also doesn't give you settings based on any specific ISO. I have come to realize that it only knows ISO 100. I had gotten advice on Steves Digicams forums by someone who bought the Sunpack 383. It is like 60 bucks (at B&H photo-www.bhphotovideo.com). It works great, it swivels in all direction, and it looks good. I did a comparison test with the FL28 and the on camera flash. And the on camera flash did a better job. The colors were brighter (and more saturated). After I saw that I never used my FL28 again. I shoot with the Sunpack now. The Sunpack is about a third larger than the FL-28 which seems to be its only downside. Hope this was helpful."

Steve's forum

"You are correct in your assumption. There are 3 photo-receptors on the front of the Panasonic DMW-FL28 flash. One near the flash tube, an auto photo-receptor for close up (macro) recording. This sensor sets the flash intensity based on available light.

The other two sensors are lower on the front. The top sensor is a slave photo-receptor, for using as a slave flash. The lower sensor is an auto photo-receptor for regular recording. This sensor sets the flash intensity based on available light.

Also supplied with the flash (which is not shown in the picture) is a diffuser which attaches over the flash tube for close up (macro) recording. When not used, it sits above the flash tube. A very clever design.

You are also correct about the microswitch. It is under the right side rail of the hotshoe. When the camera is set on auto mode and the flash is attached, the camera automatically sets up at f2.8 and 1/60 shutter. Setting the flash to auto mode utilizes the lower photo-receptor to determine the proper amount of flash.

There are also auto macro, manual, and slave settings on the flash. I do not use the macro function very often, but I assume the same thing happens with both the camera and the flash set to macro mode.

I have been very pleased with the capabilities of this flash. I recently took pictures in a friends attic with one 60 watt bulb illuminating the entire, very large space. When I transfered the pictures to my computer I was amazed at how good they were. The pictures were very crisp and the exposure was right on.

DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote