Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2005, 12:51 PM   #1

Does anyone know if's possible to attach any sort of external flash to the FZ5 ?

It's the only feature that is pushing me towards the heavier FZ20.
PaulLeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2005, 6:09 PM   #2

Yeah, there is a way to attatch an external flash, but it does indeed add weight, and cost. However, it does provide plenty of flash power!

Ibought a Vivitar DF 200 slave flash (65$, plus a couple of bucks for shipping)from B&H Photo.com last week. How the slave flash works is there`s a light sensor on the DF200 that detects the smallstrobe from the pop up flash on my FZ20. When the strobe is detected, the DF200 flashes instantly. The result is a much stronger strobe. The DF 200 mounts via a bracket, which is included with the DF200, that screws into the the threaded tripod mounting hole on the bottom of the camera. I didn`t particularly care for the flash mounting bracket that came with the flash. I found it kinda awkward handling the camera with the included mounting bracket. I stopped by a local Ritz camera store and found a flashbracket ($16)that elavates the flash and has a comfortable grip. It also mounts via the tripod mounting hole, andfolds up for ease of storage when not using the flash. I took abou two dozen pics this past weekend with the flash set up, and I`m very pleased with the results!

Have fun!, JH :G
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 11:14 PM   #3

Well if I can use an external flash, there isn't much benefit to buying the heavier FZ20. Thank you for the information, I'll look into this.
PaulLeMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 7:02 AM   #4

I use the Phoenix D92-BZS digital slave with the fz5 with an L bracket. Quite similar to the Vivitar DF-200.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 8:22 AM   #5

Just remember that not every digital slave works with the FZ's. It needs to have a white balance pre-flash, of which there really aren't all too many. Stick with the Vivitar DF 200, which I have to, and agree it's a good flash. Or, the Phoenix model Fred mentioned. A diffuser is also a good idea for indoor shots too.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 2:35 PM   #6

Here's a very useful trick for a slave flash:

altis is offline   Reply With Quote