Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 1, 2002, 7:44 AM   #11
Default No difference between LC5 and Leica Digilux?

I read on the Leica forum, German lamguage version, that there is a difference. One Andreas Müller posted a message on Monday, August 26th.
I translate part of it.
The firmware of the Digilux 1 is a modified version of the LC5 firmware.
The settings for contrast, sharpness and color saturation are in the Digilux one step lower than in the LC5 (LC5 - Standard = Digilux 1 - High).
Another one writes he has better results with the LC5 when he changes contrast and sharpness from medium to low.

Originally posted by steve
Funny you should ask ... I just updated my conclusion of the LC5/LC40 cameras. We have done some further testing and printed out some of the LC5 pics that we had commented on after seeing "weird" color patterns. Seems as if maybe they know something that we don't but the images when viewed at 100% or 200% do exhibit strange color patterns on the screen but they do make perfectly good prints. Large prints too, I did some 13x19" prints of our LC5 school house sample pic (red brick building) on my new Canon S9000 printer and it's very detailed and natural looking.

We did experience color problems with people's faces though, this can be seen on the samples page - there are three pics there, two of little girl and a third of the girl and her mother, the color is definitely off on these but correctable in Photoshop or another image editor.

The LC5 and Leica are the same camera, just different body colors and price.

Haakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2003, 8:00 PM   #12
Default LC5 vs G2

I visited Steve Lang's pbase gallery and lokked at some of the Panasonic pictures. In Sunday stroll posterisation is visible in Isabella's hair around the crown. I compared the first picture on my office computer and my home computer and found posterisation on each monitor. So I printed a crop of Isabella's hair. Alas the posterisation is still visible.
Gord Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote