Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2005, 6:00 AM   #11

PTB Stalker wrote:
TheFZ20 is equipped with a panning mode. Checkthe manual for the panning operation. Panning is best done while the subject is speeding directly in front of you. Panned shots are cool. I agree with anomaly with practicing before hand. I think that manual focusing would probably work out best for the racing shots. Try to keep your "shutter" speed at about, or above, the 1/500th of a second markfor stop action, except for the panning type pics. By the way, the `20 is equipped withan action mode setting (check manual), so give it a try.
I agree with that. You have to try panning. Panned shots have more "action", they're the best way for getting the race atmosphere onto the photos.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:01 AM   #12

Practice the "pre-focus" technique. This is where the manual focus feature of the FZ20 comes in handy.

Use the high speed capture mode. Or the auto bracket feature for three shots in quick succession.

You may also want to invest in a 2 stop neutral density filter if you expect really sunny weather or else you will be forced to use small apertures (f8.0) and not be able to dabble in beauty shots with a shallow depth of field @f4.0. The ND2 filter will also allow the use of the sharpest apertures of the camera, f4.6 to f5.6, in bright sunshine for those shots where you want a crisp edge.

I'd try all these out in advance.
NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:02 PM   #13

Be at the first turn for the first lap in burst mode, and prefocus. Its the only time all the bikes are bunched together. I did this at the Indianapolis Supercross (indoor) and have some nice action shots.
TREMOR is offline   Reply With Quote