Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 4, 2005, 6:22 PM   #1

A review on the new Sony Mega Zoom. Still not as good as the FZ's according to the review. Nice set of accessories though.

:G :blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2

I had just finished reading that when you posted the link. If I had not bought the FZ5, the Sony H1 would have been my first choice. It does 3 things better than the FZ5: manual focus and better video mode, plus it can use standard AA batteries.

Downside; must use Sony memory sticks (expensive), lens not quite as good (bright) as FZ5, and has some purple fringing.
The fact that the Sony was just released in June and I wanted a camera in mid-April made my decision easier :G
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:54 AM   #3

I agree about the Memory Sticks. I'd never buy a Sony because they are stupidly priced and i've got enough SD cards i don't want to change. Well i've just ordered a FZ5 2 days ago, and yes i'd been reading about the H1 and the S2.

I would never be able to use the movie mode (unless you get the pro card the "VGA" is only 16fps) or another option for microscopic (basically) videos. I prefer a good 30fps 340x280, the file sizes are smaller, and unless you can zoom at the same time (like the S2) i wouldn't use it at 640x480 16fps.

One other thing made my mind up, the size of the H1!! Its very bulky and heavy, so not ideal for someone who just wants a very portable zoom.

But i was impressed by its picture quality, it has good features, now if that LCD screen was double the res, then that wud hav made me think twice, but i want an LCD screen to show me some detail, rather than see the square pixels (small but noticeable).
frythechicken is offline   Reply With Quote