Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

I have a Lumix FZ20 and am leaving for a trip to Alaska in a few weeks. I want high quality pictures but with the ability to take many pictures. Should I take pictures in the highest picture size (2560) with fine quality, or use TIFF quality with a 1600 or so pict. size?Or any other recommendations? Thanks for your help.
captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:27 PM   #2

High quality jpeg. Hands down. Save the file space. Tiff is a useless format for a digicam... not sure why it's even included. Picture quality is "literally" the same, you'll save more space on your media, and the smaller files are easier to work with in post.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:50 AM   #3

I fully agree with Nick.

I don't even know if there can be a verysmall difference in those "crowded" pictures (as with a lot of foliage, grass, which even low compression jpg might slightly reduce in quality) but the "fine" compression of FZ20 does not generate visible artifacts...

What you'll see in 200% or more zoomed FZ images is noise and NR artifacts (even with low Noise reduction settings).

So stay away from Tiff and do a test yourself to check the difference, if it exists

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote