Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 10, 2005, 5:40 PM   #11

jsiladi wrote:
There are cameras in that photo?? Oh, There they are.... :G

Nothing could be simpler than processing your own b&w film. Don't need a darkroom to do it, just a bag to load the film onto the spool (the hardest part). 12 6x6 frames will fit an 8x10 sheet of paper.. Set up a contact frame and a drum for processing the sheet and for about 75ยข you have a processed roll of film and a contact sheet (dark required to load the paper and drum but after that, home free). Ebay is a great place to find short dated or slightly expired materials..

Here's a site with a lot of useful information on the subject of film and classic processes...

Check the Zone system tutorial in the links as well as the Covington Innovations link on HC-110.. If you don't fully understand what your camera meter is telling you (in general not just posters in this thread), the tutorial is Well worth the time.

Since Jan I've shot roughly 4500 frames with the FZ20. Of them, probably 200 were photos, the rest, snap-shots.. You know, 30 or 40 pictures of the same thing.. OF those, probably 50 are worth printing or even sharing. Had I been using film, I simply wouldn't have taken that many and I would still have the same 50 or so worth printing.

Thats a good link Jeff even the developer formulae are given....
I like D76 1+1 nice grain ideal for TRIX HC110 is liquid so only needs dilution easier to use.
I use a changing bag too the Tanks I use can handle 35mm or 6 x 6 120 they are English and the spool has a ratchet loading system ie you twist the cheeks back and forth and the film (in the bag) is pulled gently in. load into tank
put the lid on and you can fill thru, the light fast lid the Dev / rinse / fixer etc .....
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:28 PM   #12

I prefer the plastic tanks too.. I never did get the hang of the metal ones.. Using a bag that is.. I could load them with the lights on but what good is that.. For my money, Paterson makes the best tanks/reels out there. No hangups and everything fits together nice and tight.. You can actually invert the tank without spilling the liquid all over the place (very useful when doing Fujichrome)...

I like the D76 1+1 for the little bit of Verichrome Pan I have left.. Mostly because that's what I'm most experienced with. It's nice for the TriX 320 too.. Haven't tried the 400 but I've blown up the 320 to 20x24 (cropped from a 6x6 negative of course) and it's razor sharp. Let's see anyone do that with a digital without interpolation.. I've only recently discovered (personally) the HC110 and I'm growing to like it for its shorter developing times.

Still like my FZ20 and FZ1v2 though.. They definately have thier place (gotta mention digital on Steves DIGIcams)... :G

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:11 PM   #13

boyzo wrote:
The that last shot has nice bokeh the background is uniformly
soft the focused subjects have a nice planar isolation.
I love the tones in that image.
Here is a scan of an A4 Haloide print TRIX film Kodak D76 1 + 1 DEV. 135mm lens SRT102 SLR scene is a car racing circuit a while ago.
Grain is clearly visible....the print was on Ilford Ilfobrom
ps I think the cameras are Kodak ;-)

John, the shot of the 2 ladies is awesome:!::!::!:You really nailed this one:cool :
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:47 PM   #14

boyzo wrote:
ps I think the cameras are Kodak ;-)
The one on the left looks like a Yashica "never-ready" case to me.

Seriously, I envy you guys who know your way around a darkroom. It's experience I wish I had, but I'm not likely to start now.

And I'm not likely to go back to film now, either. I enjoy the freedom of digital too much. When I was shooting film, I could never get past worrying about "wasting film", so I missed a lot of shots.

Of course, digital has its drawbacks, but for me the advantages are more important. That's the way it is with every step along the path of technology. An 8x10 view camera is still far superior in many ways to a medium format camera, which beats 35 mm, which is far better than 110, which still has some advantages over small-sensor digital cameras! But each of these developments has had its own advantages to offer, and that's why they have appealed to so many.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote