Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:12 PM   #11

Beautiful images jussiuk.

Yes Centrepoint is one of the most infamous buildingsin the UK, because of the story you almost have correct there :-). Believe it or not, the building was deliberately left empty upon completion in 1965 for over ten years because of the bizarre runaway property market at the time. Property and rent prices were going up so fast that it made perfect sense for the owner Harry Hyams to leave it empty, as tying himself into a standardseven year lease with a tenant would mean he would completely miss out on the boom time value increases -and as office buildings are valued according to their rent potential, Centrepoint was worth a heck of a lot more completely tenantless!

And so the tallest building ever built in London remained empty for over a decade!It cost £5m to build, yet was worth £22m just 5 years later! He tried his same tricks over with us in Dublin - alas his architectural legacy isn't quite as photogenic :sad:

I hope to get the FZ5 in a week or two, so I might post the odd pic (purely for technical analysis of course :-)) of my capital.

Graham-Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:52 PM   #12

Excellent work Jus very dramatic shots and great PS work
like the black sky

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:44 PM   #13

It hurts my neck looking up.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:11 AM   #14

Thanks for corrected info Graham Dublin!
I heard it all just as verbal talk from other peole thus I think each perosn added a year or two to the story...

In any case I believe most of it was empy for longer than 10 years with only the bottom floors in use by some African embassies etc.? (there used to be some demonstrations outside when some dignitaries visited form Zimbabwe or some such place).

Thanks to all who have commented. It has made me really happy to hear such positive encouragement!
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:06 AM   #15

Yes, theground floorwas the only one in use.

As others have said, your no3 is certainly the most dramatic - fantastic image!

So much depth and interest; got a real gritty tangible quality to it that makes it leap off the screen!

Blown up, printed out and framed, itwould make for agreat statement on a wall.
Graham-Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote