Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 16, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1

I have an FZ5 that is a few months old; I bought a nice Hoya SMC UV filter for it a couple of weeks ago. Problem: the Hoya only has 1 1/2 or 2 full threads on it, and the way the stock lens adapter works, it literally is held on by less the 1/4 of a thread. If I tighten it more, it pops itself out. When it was "optimally tight" I could turn it 1/4 turn counterclockwise, and it would release. Definately did not want to put a teleconverter on top of the Hoya, it would not hold it on. Once or twice my lens cap has caused it to pop off; only the lens cap and cord kept it from hitting the ground

To "hedge my bet" I ordered a new lens adapter from Panasonic ($14). When it came, I checked it and the Hoya still just barely held on.

So I took some 100 grit sandpaper, put it on my desk, and started sanding down one of the adapters, using orbital movement, and rotating the adapter about 1/4 turn every 10 or 12 orbits to avoid high spots. Process takes about 5 minutes.

When I was done, the Hoya actually screws in 1 1/2 turns, and when removing it from the adapter it doesn't release until it has been turned about 1 1/4 revolutions. I think it can hande a teleconverter now!

Oh yeah, the sunshade still attaches and works just fine, and there is no interference with the UV filter at full 12x zoom.

thanks Fred!
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links