Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1

I currentlly have a fuji F5500, which I think is pretty good but I'm considering purchasing the FZ-5 to replace it. I was a little disappointed with the macro ability of the F5500. The FZ5, from what I've read has a better (closer) macro focusing range, which appeals to me and also like the sound of the image stabilisation. Have read some good reviews on the FZ5 but some say there isquite a bit of noise in the pictures. How do you FZ5 users find the picture quality..is the noise really obvious or are the pictures generally good?

Image quality is the main thing for me, so how does the FZ5 compare to the F5500 for quality?

any other help, advice is appreciated.

scooby snacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:16 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the F5500 but I guarantee you the FZ5 will knock your socks off. The image stabilzed 12x Pana/Leica lens is the ultra zoom benchmark, pure and simple. As to macro capability, the fz5 does a fairly decent job. At 1x zoom you can focus from 1-2cm away (the specs say 5cm but you can get alot closer than that) and at 12x zoom from 1m away (what they call tele-macro). In between, from 2x - 11x, the fz5 macro ispretty useless because the focus distance increases with the amount of zoom - to 2m at 11x. Happily, the use of a close-up add-on lens will allow for excellent macros from a set distance depending on the diopter power of the close-up lens. The fz5 comes with a 55mm lens adapter. Your best bet is to get a 52mm nikon 4t macro lens and a 55-52mm stepdown ring to attach it to the fz5 adapter. Both are available from b&h photo (among others) for ~$50 delivered. With the4t, the fz5 will focus from about 12" away throughout the zoom. With that combo you will have one marveous macro making machine.

WARNING: The FZ5 can be addictive.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote