Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:08 PM   #11

So I guess that means carrying around another adapter.I will have to think about justifying going to 25mm vs. 28mm.Is there that much difference in the to.Is the Raynox and Olympus equal in sharpness and quality built?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 5:26 PM   #12

Both Raynox and Olympus WA lenses are okay. Raynox does make a few cheap lenses though, so beware. I think the DCR-720 is a cheaper quality lens, and it goes for pretty cheap on Ebay, so don't bother with that, unless you just want small pics at wide angles.

I don't think a 0.8x nominal perspective reduction is worth it, if you're going to unload the cash for a lens, you might as well opt for something that gives you 0.7x at the least. Remember that the Panasonic starts at a relatively higher wide-end focal (35mm) length than some other consumer digicams like the Canon S70, which sits at a film equivalent of 28mm. A 0.8x is pretty sufficient for a 28mm focal length, bringing it to 22mm. But for a prosumer like the FZ20, I'd definitely opt for a 0.7X or better.
Rhombuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:03 AM   #13

It depends on what you are going to shoot. Many people might think 0.8 is not wide enough, but for me image quality is the most important (sharpness, less distortion, no vignetting) so I went for wcon-08b.

Wide angle lens review:

(The page is in Japanese but you can use babelfish or google to translate it.)

skyrocketfw is offline   Reply With Quote