Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 16, 2005, 7:44 PM   #1

Good evening,

I have an FZ5 and an Olympus T-con 17 teleconverter. I have attached the T-con to the camera via a UV-protector filter; the lens will not screw directly into the FZ5's lens adapter (threads are too shallow). The lens is so heavy (and even the filter doesn't screw into the adapter very securely) that the lens and filter together have a regrettable tendency to fall off! This is not conducive to good lens health.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket lens adapter, with more secure threading, for the FZ5? I have seen a recommendation to sand down the front of the lens adapter, but it seems to me that one would destroy any resale value by doing that (and, I'd rather not risk destroying the lens adapter).

Any advise appreciated...
MarciaLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:47 AM   #2

I have sanded down the front of mine and it makes a HUGE difference in "holding power", especially if you have a lense with very shallow threads. If you are concerned about resale value, a replacement lense adapter from Panasonic is only $13. I ordered one for a spare, and I keep my TC connected to it so I don't have to unscrew it, just pop off one adapter and twist on the other.

I still do not think the Tcon17 would be a good match for it, even with the sanded-down threads; I understand that the threads on the TCON are extremely shallow; fmoore recommends using a 55mm UV filter with deep threads to attach the TCON.

No one I know of is making an aftermarket adapter for the FZ5 at this point.

Good luck with it, let me know if you come up with a solution.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:59 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. I will order a spare lens adapter and modify the original one by sanding it down.

Again, thanks.

Marcia
MarciaLyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:37 AM   #4

MarciaLyman wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for your response. I will order a spare lens adapter and modify the Simply sanding original one by sanding it down.
The removal of the 1mm or so of non-threaded plastic at the front of the f5 adapter (by rubbingacrosssandpaper on a flat horizontal surface)that interferes with a tight connection is certainly needed but that alone will notresult ina secure enough fit with the tcon17. After sanding you should attach a 55mm metal uv filter (or metal dummy filter with the glass broken out) since those male threads are deeper than the meager tcon17 threads. Now you will have a securely seated source of metal 55mm female threads (the front of the uv filter is also threaded) to connect the tcon17 to. IMO, it is still a somewhat questionable arrangement due to the tcon17's weight and center of gravity. Try to always give it some support with your left hand andyou should beok.

The design of the fz5 body precludes the likelyhood of a 3rd party metal adapter beingeconomicallyproduced. There is another more intrusive adapter modification that can be performed.I find it particularly useful with the raynox dcr6600 wa lens. See http://www.ishots.net/fz5/modified_fz5_adapter.htm

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:38 AM   #5

I am looking for a 55mm -> 52mm stepdown Adapter which completely "disappears" in the lens hood.
I would fix it with glue down there, having a metal 52mm thread in a better position from now on.
This was tested with a raynox 6600 and an attached 52mm lens body held by hand. There was no vignetting.
I´m thinking of "sanding down" the outer parts of a commercial stepdown adapter.
But there is not much thread on the 55mm side.
Maybe there is a glue to fix the ring of the former lens.

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:20 AM   #6

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for a 55mm -> 52mm stepdown Adapter which completely "disappears" in the lens hood.
I would fix it with glue down there, having a metal 52mm thread in a better position from now on.
This was tested with a raynox 6600 and an attached 52mm lens body held by hand. There was no vignetting.
I´m thinking of "sanding down" the outer parts of a commercial stepdown adapter.
But there is not much thread on the 55mm side.
Maybe there is a glue to fix the ring of the former lens.

There is a space of about 2.5mm of unthreaded plastic at the base (camera end) of the receiving threads on the fz5 adapter. If you removed theentire threaded portion of the plastic adapter down to that space (with sandpaper, a knife, a saw, a grinding wheel, etc?), you should be able topermanently attach a metal 55-52mm stepdown ringinto that space. You will need tofile down the 55mm male threadson the metal step ringfar enough to press it into the plastic andthen permanently fix it there with glue (epoxy?). That's as close as you canget without using theraynox tube adapter modification mentioned above.

A couple or precautions:1) That 2.5mm space is there to allow the fz5 lens housingto physically extend by another 2.5mm as you increase zoom. You don't want the step ring to interfere with that added extension. There should be enough clearance around outside of the extended lens housing to accomodate the added diametrical thickness of the step ring. 2) Be careful not to mess up the fz5 adapter's locking mechanism when removing the plastic or applying the glue.

Finally, geta spare fz5 adapter in case something goes wrong. $13 at http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/epartr/(part # VYQ338)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:34 AM   #7

Thanks fmoore!
Sometimes I don´t know what I like mo(o)re the camera or the experts who "live" in this forum. My epoxy glue is waiting. Most of my accessories have a 52mm thread. Only the MCON40 will be sad afterwards.....
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:23 PM   #8

i've just bought an FZ5 and im having a little trouble with what i should do to connect a teleconverter before i go out and buy the new lens.

Would the TCON17 be the best option for a teleconverter for FZ5? Going by the above posts, the pana's adapter and the TC both have the same size (55mm?) threads, but just not deep enought to hold strong?

This is why you use the UV obviously. Can anyone possibly post a pic of how the 3 connect and sanded front so i can see how it works before i spend the money and screw it up?
DEEV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:18 PM   #9

I just bet that someone[LoveLife?} will make a 55/62mm lens adapter so I could use all the debris from my FZ20. The FZ20's lens converters go from 64mm on theFZ20 camera noseto 62mm. Then a 55mm/62mm lens adapter seems logical. Or use a 64mm/55mm step down ring.

???????????????????????//

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:31 AM   #10

DEEV8

I have the same consideration myself. I really want the TCON 17 and have no issues with sanding down the existing pana adapter to fit the TCON and the stepdown to it.However, as many posts indicate here, the weight of it still doesn't ensure a 'safe' connectioneven after a little sanding! I suppose it's not problem if you are hand holding the lens and camera since it's a good way of steadying anyway but using a tripod would be a completely new ball game - anyone here had any experience with the stock adapter and the TCON 17 on a tripod yet?

It's a real shame the Phayee adapter doesn't fit the FZ5, perhaps they will make one if demand is high enough???

I wonder if anyone could post a pic of the TCON 17 fitted to the stock adapter?

Thanks folks

overexposed
overexpo is offline   Reply With Quote