Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

I just recently acquired Neat Image and have been playing around with all its features. I'm quite pleased with the results that I get. For most of the images I've used it on, just setting the profile and lettting the software do the rest seems to do an adequate job. My question to forum members who use noise reduction software is how much post processing do you do with Neat Image or other similar software?
Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:22 PM   #2

I have used NoiseNinja and Neat Image and I find that if you process the images too much they tend to look artificial. Details will begin to fade out the more noise reduction you apply. I have not tried it yet, but Photoshop CS2 has a noise reduction tool now. I'll play around with that and see what results I get. Neat Image works very well though, just play around with it a bit.
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:56 PM   #3

I use noise reduction a lot more once I got a plug-in rather than a stand alone program. You can find the edges and invert, thereby being able to apply noise reduction without messing with the edges. You can apply more to one area or none at all where it doesn't need it.

It is great for getting that studio look to portraits. Apply noise reduction to the face on a layer, then erase the eyes and mouth so the sharper image from the layer below shows. If the eyes are sharp it isn't apparent you softened the face a little.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote