Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1

Ran into the house to get my FZ5 to take a shot of a snake we had trapped. Brought the camera out of the A/C into 95 deg. humid weather. The eyepiece, lens & LCD fogged immediately, which wasn't a shock. What was disconcerting was the fact that the display showed a flashing red battery symbol. Since I hadn't used the camera for a few days, I thought that the battery was down, but that was not the case. After getting back inside & trying to charge the battery, (it didn't need it) the camera was fine. I don't know what happened, except maybe something internal being sensitive to the condenastion. It concerns me that something inside the camera is vulnerable to this environmental condition! I would hope that the innards of the camera were insulated, sealed or in some way protected from exposure to the elements. I am not anxious to experiment with my camera by repeating the event, but I must say that I worry a bit now whenever I take the camera outside. It is almost always humid here & I don't want to have to use an underwater enclosure all the time:G
omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 8:25 PM   #2

Do you have a case for the camera? Always storing the camera in a case with one of those little dessicant silica gel sachets is a good idea. I kept the sachets included in the box of my FZ20 when I bought it a few weeks ago; now they're in various pouches in my new camera bag.

If you don't have any sachets you could ask your local electronics store if they have any, or consider online shopping (example). These sachets won't keep condensation from forming on the camera if you subject it to temperature changes like the ones you describe but they should help the camera dry out afterwards.
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote