Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: What camera in the FZ range do you own?
FZ1/FZ2 12 12.63%
FZ3 5 5.26%
FZ5 14 14.74%
FZ10 8 8.42%
FZ15 8 8.42%
FZ20 45 47.37%
FZ30 3 3.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:33 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am always interested to see what the split of different camera types are so lets make a poll.

Myself, well I have my good old FZ10 and it is still going strong and I see no need to upgrade to the FZ30.

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:20 AM   #2

FZ20 is my second digital....first was a Sony DSC-S30. Took some nice shots with tha camera, but I don't know how I could survive without the great 12x zoom lens of the FZ20. And...I wouldn't buy another camera for indoor flash without the ability to to use an auxillary flash.

Even if I eventually get a digital SLR, I don't think I'd part with my FZ20 as their are times when you want to travel light, and you can do a lot with the Panasonic without having tons of gear along.

And, my wife is learning a lot from using her FZ1....only a matter of time before she'll want something better. Will that be an opportunity to have her use the FZ20 and I'll get the SLR?????????
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:22 AM   #3

I have the FZ20. It's my first "serious" digital camera. My other one is a little Pentax point-and-shoot that's great to fit in a pocket to grab shots. I really like the FZ20 and feel no need to upgrade to the FZ30. I may get a DSLR in a couple of years, but I still have lots to learn with my fluzzie. It's a great camera for gradually learning and improving my skills. I'm starting to get comfortable with semi-manual and even fully manual modes, but it's good to have the automatic modes when I need to move quickly or have a one-time opportunity that I want to capture with at least one good shot. Like most other FZ20 owners on this forum, I love my camera. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close. Definitely the best in its class.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:00 AM   #4

I've got the FZ-20, which I love! It's my first 'proper' digital camera and I'm just starting to get used to the semi-automatic modes.

It may not be the smallest or lightest camera around, but it sure packs a punch for its price!
RockyOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:14 AM   #5

Treemonkey wrote:
Hi all,

I am always interested to see what the split of different camera types are so lets make a poll.

Myself, well I have my good old FZ10 and it is still going strong and I see no need to upgrade to the FZ30.

I have the FZ10 also and agree.However, I believe the FZ30 will generate better 8 x 10'sfrom crops because of the 8 mp sensor.

I was contemplating upgrading to the FZ30 but felt uncomfortable about the amount ofnoise. With the possiblity of a higher quality sensor and higher iso selections in the next generation, I think I will wait one more year to see what happens.
imaruke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:29 PM   #6

I have an FZ1v2 and a FZ20. I got the FZ1 because I was going on an Alaskan vacation and wanted a long zoom camera. I chose the FZ1 because it had the longest zoom and OIS. When I got back from vacation the FZ2 was announced but not sold in the US. So, I was glad when I got the FZ1v2 firmware update.

The FZ10 came out 3 to 4 months later. I decided to not upgrade. But when the FZ20 came out, I decided to upgrade. I liked the 5MP sensor (FZ1: 2MP), the 2" LCD (FZ1: 1.5" LCD) and the realtime histogram. and the hotshoe mount. The FZ1 didn't show histograms nor did it have a hotshoe. Finally, I wanted the full manual control.

I have kept the FZ1v2 as a backup and for IR photography. I am now waiting to get the LX1 to replace my Casio EX-Z3 which is waring out. The EX-Z3 is my scenic/carry everywhere camera. I think the 16:9 senso of the LX1 will be great for scenic/landscape shots.

Enjoy life!
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:28 AM   #7

i have an FZ20 which i enjoy immensely. it's my 3rd digicam - the first two were also panasonics, a DMC-LC33 and then an LC43. i've also used an FZ1V2, which is a very good camera, but its limited feature set doesn't quite do all i want to do. i've considered upgrading from my '20, but frankly, there's still nothing out there short of a DSLR that will do more, or appreciably better, than i can do with my FZ20. until there is, i see no sense in spending $700 for a rig that won't give me any better prints (at the sizes i do, up to 11x14) than i can get now. i did a lot of research and shopped around a LOT before i settled on the FZ20, and i have not been disappointed. :G
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:22 AM   #8

I have FZ20 and it's my first and still only digicam. I love it but there are still some features that I would love to improve, but I believe that I could improve them only with DSLR, so my next camera will be DSLR - no matter if it will be after 1 or 10 years, but until that (and who knows maybe also after that) I will continue to use my trusty FZ20 :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 2:33 PM   #9

From looking at the poll numbers, it seems that most folks have the FZ 20 or the FZ 1.* Myself, I have the FZ 1 and of course I LOVE it !! So many great photos with this LiL Gem of a camera! And very few other cameras can do infrared photography! My other digicam is a Canon A 70. It works very well and has its uses. Maybe, I will look into picking up a nice preowned FZ20 when all those who have chosen to "up grade" to the FZ30 start selling them for a reasonable sum!! ..............Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:31 PM   #10

I have an FZ20 that was more or less a replacement for my well used Canon G3. Would have bought another G3, but they stopped making them and wasn't interested in the G5. What a replacement! No interest or need in the FZ30. No regrets at all. Use with my Phayee adapter and remote, Sandisk Ultra II SD cards and has been nothing short of a joy since day one.
KarlJ is offline   Reply With Quote