Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

View Poll Results: Gene or Panasonic?
Gene should get some respect and satisfaction. 7 46.67%
Panasonic should hang its head it in shame. 4 26.67%
Panasonic doesn't give a darn. 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:39 PM   #1

Comments are welcome and you can check more than one answer.

See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:05 PM   #2

I just noticed the poll. very nice! Can we tick all three choices as I believe they all apply ?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:27 PM   #3

kind of a one-sided poll, don't you think? i didn't see any option for "Panasonic may be right". Gene's asking for a new camera for what i think is a pretty weak reason. i agree that if the seller offered a 30-day no-questions-asked exchange, then they should honor that. that being said, i do not believeGene's complaint warrants a new camera otherwise.it's up tothe seller, not the buyer, to determine whether or if a replacement will be offered under manufacturer's warranty - if it were the other way around, no company could stay in business, because anyone who had the slightest problem - or noproblem at all - could demand and receive a free replacementproduct. the discrepancy Gene seems to havewith his FZ30 is neither causing a malfunction, nor creating even a significant cosmetic problem, and Panasonic is well within their rights to refuse to hand over a freereplacement camera on that basis. i don't see why everyone is so down on Panny for this.

i'm posting a shot of the front of the lens of my almost-a-year old FZ20. as you can see it has little specks in there too. some are probably just motes of dust that might have been ingested before i got my Phayee adapter and started keeping a UV filter on the lens at all times (i took the filter off for this photo). others... who knows? i do know that none of those little flecks of whatever have caused the slightest problem in either operation of the camera, or the results.
Attached Images
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:23 PM   #4

I had the same issue with my FZ10, but I had a dust mite living in the lens (it was my first post to the forum) I tried to get it replaced but their policy was that it had to be checked out by an authorised Pana repair centre and it would take weeks. In the end I didnt want to go without my FZ and eventually the dust mite moved out.

I believed in the old saying "the customer is always right", if companies want us to recommend their cameras and for us to upgrade they need to look after us. We are in the position of power, we have the money and they want it so I always find it strange when companies take a hard line on customers.

My recommendation, kick up a stink, write to Pana, post lots of Pana customer service stinks posts and who knows maybe one day Panasonic will actually want to look after its customers (I doubt it though, still no sigh of a firmware upgrade!)

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:50 PM   #5

You can vote for all three if you think they all apply. #3 was meant to be the pro-Panasonic entry. The wording could have been a little better.I should have put: Panasonic shouldn't give a darn.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:02 PM   #6

Gene ..Gene.... Gene... thanks Fred.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:30 AM   #7

I sympathize with Gene and think he should get a product free from any defects. However, I can see Panasonics point in at least wanting to check the camera before agreeing to provide a new camera. That points out the benefit of buying from a store you can walk into and deal with problems in person.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 2:49 PM   #8

The customer is always right...lol...we all know thats not always the truth. If it was and we dealt with nothing but honorable people, maybe that adage would apply. But considering people and how varied they are...I am sure a company has a right to try and prevent people from taking advantage of their return policy.

I have been in countries where once you leave the store...what you buy is what you buy. And I have lived in countries...where you can come back with the product in pieces and they will take it back and replace it. Neither is right or wrong, it all depends on the society you are in and all businesses have the right to make up their mind on how to deal with it on their own. All that matters is that they make their policy abundantly clear. After that the responsibility falls on the customer.

Gene...I can only imagine your frustration. Hope things work out to you liking.

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote