Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 26, 2005, 7:44 PM   #11

Normc, that DWM-LT55 teleconverter looks suspiciously like the TCON-17...i'd not be surprised if this is just an Oly lens remarked for the Lumix line. :?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:11 PM   #12

Could be? But we can bet the price will not be the same. The only two lenses I now have are a Canon 55mm 1.4x and the Olympus TCON 0.7x The Canon is small but the results are terrible....forget it. I have been fooling with the Olympus W/A. When I went to screw it on to the FZ30, I stopped as it appeared that it would touch the camera lens. I then fashioned a spacer from an old close up lens and that seems to work OK until I started to compare the photos of the same scene with another camera. This lens just will not do it for me. I am almost to the point where the idea of having one camera that will go from 24mm or 26mm to over 400mm plus and still produce outstanding photography might be a little nutty?

I also learned from the earlier FZ cameras that the fit of the telephoto with respect to the camera lens is critical to how well it will perform. I no longer have a 1.7x so I can not comment on using it with a FZ30
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:09 PM   #13

normc wrote:
Quote:
Could be? But we can bet the price will not be the same. The only two lenses I now have are a Canon 55mm 1.4x and the Olympus TCON 0.7x The Canon is small but the results are terrible....forget it. I have been fooling with the Olympus W/A. When I went to screw it on to the FZ30, I stopped as it appeared that it would touch the camera lens. I then fashioned a spacer from an old close up lens and that seems to work OK until I started to compare the photos of the same scene with another camera. This lens just will not do it for me. I am almost to the point where the idea of having one camera that will go from 24mm or 26mm to over 400mm plus and still produce outstanding photography might be a little nutty?

I also learned from the earlier FZ cameras that the fit of the telephoto with respect to the camera lens is critical to how well it will perform. I no longer have a 1.7x so I can not comment on using it with a FZ30
yeah, i'd heard the TL-55 was not a good lens... too 'soft', and a good deal of CA in high contrast shots. if you want a 55mm tcon, i think the TCON-17 would be the best bet.

i don't know about trying to mount converters directly on lenses, as i have a Phayee adapter on my FZ20, and that positions the UV filter (which stays on the camera at all times) about 1/16" in front of the maximum forward extension of the lens. i just screw my TCON-14B onto the UV filter, and i'm good to go. that gives me a total range of 36mm to about 620mm, which covers about anything i'm likely to need. i find i don't need an actual "wide angle" lens, as the 36mm setting on the camera is sufficient for my needs.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:02 AM   #14

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i assume you're talking about a teleconverter... there are a number of good ones available in the 1.4-1.7x range. i have an Olympus TCON-14B which is 1.45x and cost me a bit over $100 on ebay. retail is about $175, i think. if you don't mind using stepdown rings to use a 55mm thread, you can use the Olympus TCON-17, which is 1.7 x, and can be had for between $80 and $100. it's not as well made, IMO, as the 14B, and it's a bit "softer" and more susceptible to CA, but it'slighter andoffers a little more "pull". there are others available as well in the $100-$200 range. here's a link to a site with some useful information...the site is written for the FZ10, but all the lenses will fit the '20 with an adapter.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
I would love to add one of these to my FZ 30 and I am liking what I've read about the tcon 17. I am a bit hesitant tho, because of the experience I had with my minolta 7i. After I added the tele converter which was made for this camera by Minolta, the camera took on a whole new shape, and handling characteristics were...ugh, indescribeable. (I must say tho the lense produced chrystal clear shots!) The lense could only be used after downloading software into the camera, it had to have the barrel fully extended, locked in macro position, and the only focal options were zoom at max, period. It only boosted the zoom to 10X. It was a pain to put on and take off and I had to be V E R Y careful because it weighed a ton, and I had to support it at all times with my hand under the barrel where it joined the normal lense. A N D it cost like a KINGS ransom. Here's a shot of the beast with the add on. See what I mean? How'd you like to lug this around? So my question is, how versatile is the 30 with an add on? Can you use the zoom in and out with it on? (could not with the 7i) Is it structurally sound, how careful do you have to be supporting the extra weight? Many thanks if you can shed some light here. Best regsrds,

KennethD
All you need to know about lenses on the FZ30.

http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/804122

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 2:10 AM   #15

normc wrote:
Quote:

The WCON07 on the FZ30 causes a blur in the middle of the image. The Best WA on the FZ30 is the HD6600 -55. It will be out in a few days. I have a DCR6600 same lens in a 52mm mount in a glue up mounting to simulate the results.

23.1mm of distortion free image

Same image as above shot at 35mm with Leica

Old Oct 27, 2005, 6:13 AM   #16

Those are sure very nice photos, many thanks.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 3:08 AM   #17

lovelife,

In your gallery http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/804122 there are tho shots with virtually the same angle of view (shot nr.5 and nr.7) while according to their descriptions, it should not be the same.

The shot nr.5 is described as 24,5 mm focal length (taken with WCON-07) and shot nr.7 is described as 28 mm focal length (taken using WCON-08B).
klenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:07 AM   #18

klenot wrote:
Quote:
lovelife,

In your gallery http://lovelife.smugmug.com/gallery/804122 there are tho shots with virtually the same angle of view (shot nr.5 and nr.7) while according to their descriptions, it should not be the same.

The shot nr.5 is described as 24,5 mm focal length (taken with WCON-07) and shot nr.7 is described as 28 mm focal length (taken using WCON-08B).
I have closely examined both shots number 5 and number 7 and they were taken within a short time frame of each other on a tripod with quick release mount. If you are referring to the cameras exif information Focal Length: 7.4mm (35mm) for both pictures that is correct. The camera is not aware of different add-on lenses in front only it's internal settings. WCON07 is .7X x 35mm or 24.5mm; the WCON08B is .8X x 35mm or 28mm, the pictures, close in perspective, were recorded with the two lenses as stated.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 1:52 AM   #19

I choked when I saw the price of the Panasonic 1.7X tele, but bought'er anyway. Why? Well, Mainly because they built such a great camera for me (FZ 30) at such a good price, I just said thank you with my wallet, to them for that. I'm happy to say I have not regretted it! I'll post some shots, I believe they hit a solid home run with their tele, just like they did with the FZ 30. Shot quite a bit with it this week end and yes yes, yes. It works as advertised, for sure. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:22 AM   #20

lovelife,

I know, that the camera isn't aware of any additional lens attached to main lens. I did not looked at exif info.

Instead, I just visually compared the two shots. I attach the crop of sides of your pictures. The left one is the 5th shot (FZ30 with WCON-07), and right of it, the 7th shot (FZ30 with WCON-08B). Doesn't they look like they was taken with exactly the same angle of view? (focal length).

I think, there should be a visible difference between 24,5 and 28 mm focal length, like it can be seen on a second attached picture, where I tried to simulate this difference by marking the 28mm focal length picture by a yellow rectangle, and where the whole picture shows the wider angle of view (24,5mm). This marking is just my quick estimation, I didn't computed it exactly, but it shows, how approximately these two shots should differ.

There is something strange with these pictures.. I can't tell how it is possible. I even can not verify it, because I don't have the WCON-08B nor the FZ30.
Attached Images

klenot is offline   Reply With Quote